Manual choke

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just bought a clone Hemi car. It has dual Edelbrock #1405 carbs. Both chokes are inop. I would like to put a manual cable to the front carb. Edelbrock does not offer a manual kit for the the carb, imagine that! I talked with an Edelbrock tech, he gave me a possible bracket # 1494 and cable # 8013. No eyelet or way to connect the wire to the carb. What support! Has anyone of you done this successfully ? Were you able to purchase what you needed or did you have to fabricate. The cable itself could be any universal cable or the Edelbrock #8013. Also, there seem to be possible other cable brackets.

I could swear, and am almost positive, that some of the Ed carbs have/ had/ did have manual chokes

Look at this thread:

I cannot offer specifics, but "back in the day" I made several conversions by just building them, solder, braze, whatever, but those were mostly well type chokes. The "secret" I found was to modify a choke stop by using a different set screw and nut, and tighten the set screw through a hole in the carb link, then screwing the body of the stop on "loose" so it could move. THAT stop, then was not used to set against the wire, but to slide the wire through it, use a very light spring, and put the actual choke stop out further on the wire. This left some "spring" which makes it easier to deal with the fast idle cam.

Yeah, they used to have the brackets at one time. Do some searching at Speedway Motors as they have lots of old school parts. You may find something that works. Also Check Holley parts as you may be able to retro something that will work .
Not too much is needed to attach the cable/clamp to the bowl screw.

Okay. I will just figure and eyeball engineer it out. All of the choke mechanism is there in the carb, it's cable bracket, cable and a way to attach the wire to the choke shaft linkage. Wouldn't you think that if Edelbrock went through the trouble of building or offering a manual choke carburetor, that they would offer the cable kit? The #1406 carburetor electric choke has a kit, same carburetor, but. Just doesn't make sense, and the Edelbrock tech could not give me an answer. No, can't use the electric one on my # 1405, didn't ask that, maybe I should call them back. Will follow up with that question.
Thank you for answering!

Okay. I am able to install the electric choke kit #1478 on my #1405. That's the easy way out, will just cost a little more. I am okay with that! Watched a how to video on it, will get it ordered.
Thanks again for helping!

Not sure I get it..?? 1405 CAME with manual choke..!! Yes you can convert to electric if you want. All you need to keep it manual is the small (L) bracket that bolts under one of the top hold down screws. Any universal old school choke cable will do. A small set screw locks it to the barrel on the choke lever. I have converted every carter/edelbrock carburetor I have ever had to manual choke. Swingn’

#7. I wasn't sure on the bracket, didn't want to buy one or 2 to find out that one or none would or wouldn't work. Plus, I don't understand how any set screw would attach the wire to the choke linkage. I think that I will be okay with the electric.

-
Back