Manual Column Rebuild

-

dgtwo

dgtwo
Reaction score
Does anyone have detailed information on how to rebuild a manual steering column for a 1973 Duster.The spacer at the bottom to hold the shaft staight in the tube. Dont have one dont know what it looks like.I went to my Crysler Dealer he told me it came as part of the tube but its discontinued mabe I could make something since it only took up the slack from the steering post to the tube. So I was thinking about making it out of teflon But dont know what it looks like.If anyone could help me out would appreciate Oh yeah 4Spd car

Does the bottom of the column cage (below where it would mount to the firewall) have any holes in it? Should be 2 or 3

If yes, youll need something like this from year one (available elsewhere)
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?hid=111EA13830

But I'm guessing yours is more like mine and none of the above will work unless you modify it.

These pictures are from another thread somebody else made. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=223710&postcount=3

You can see that there is a spring that sits on a perch that is part of the shaft and the other end holds a small bearing in the bearing sleeve (silver piece inside the cage).

I've found that you can get a replacement bearing from the dealer (~9bucks) which looks similar to the original but is off an 80's full size fan. I already had the bearing sleeve and spring but I'm guessing those probably aren't available from the dealer anymore. You may have to do some junkyard hunting for those.

Does the bottom of the column cage (below where it would mount to the firewall) have any holes in it? Should be 2 or 3

If yes, youll need something like this from year one (available elsewhere)
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?hid=111EA13830

But I'm guessing yours is more like mine and none of the above will work unless you modify it.

These pictures are from another thread somebody else made. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=223710&postcount=3

You can see that there is a spring that sits on a perch that is part of the shaft and the other end holds a small bearing in the bearing sleeve (silver piece inside the cage).

I've found that you can get a replacement bearing from the dealer (~9bucks) which looks similar to the original but is off an 80's full size fan. I already had the bearing sleeve and spring but I'm guessing those probably aren't available from the dealer anymore. You may have to do some junkyard hunting for those.
I will take a pic of mine and post it

That kit for the bearing is available. Think it was The Paddock, or Laysons. It is always a good idea to replace it anyway. Yours looks really shot.

Are you should thats a 73 column? The cage looks like an earlier model with the honeycomb mesh pattern. I thought all 73+ had the straight cut mesh?

Looks like my 71 and 72 auto column shift steering columns

Are you should thats a 73 column? The cage looks like an earlier model with the honeycomb mesh pattern. I thought all 73+ had the straight cut mesh?

Looks like my 71 and 72 auto column shift steering columns
The dealer told me that only 72 and 73 are the same he also said no bearing in these plastic bushing only can go on what Im told cuz I dont know

The dealer told me that only 72 and 73 are the same he also said no bearing in these plastic bushing only can go on what Im told cuz I dont know
If it was a bearing Where did it go?That collar you see is plastic I suppose If I could get a bearing up the shaft it will work probably that is the difference they went from a bushing to a bearing.I asked the dealer the same question about the bushing he just said it wore through and fell out.How do you get the coupler off the end,Cant buy a steering box here so I found a place in london to rebuild mine he told me it is wore out as it gets

I wouldn't get too worried about it if I were you. The shaft is held on one end by the steering box, and on the other end by the little bearing at the top of the column. You can run with nothing in the bottom of the tube, and it's not a big deal.

On my car, I had a buddy turn one out of a chunk of delrin. It keeps fumes from coming into the cabin if nothing else.

Bill Reilly used to handle the nylon bushings - I don't know if he still does. 570-443-7440

Call up Dantes parts on the east coast. They have that piece new. It is a plastic housing with a rubber center that snaps into the thin slots on the column jacket.

Call up Dantes parts on the east coast. They have that piece new. It is a plastic housing with a rubber center that snaps into the thin slots on the column jacket.
I will do that if nothing else Thankyou But I took it apart I think a bearing will work Im going to go on the hunt tomorrow with my steering column to see if I can find one there is a few places around here that make bearings

I will do that if nothing else Thankyou But I took it apart I think a bearing will work Im going to go on the hunt tomorrow with my steering column to see if I can find one there is a few places around here that make bearings

Keep us up to date! I am in the same boat as you!

-
Back