Manual or Power?

-

Woody'sScamp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All,
I need help as I have yet to drive my car, other than in my driveway and it's been 4 years since it was running. I currently have manual brakes, front disc, rear drums, BBP. 1975 318 Scamp. I'm thinking of upgrading to power brakes. I just got done e-mailing Pirate Jack's with some questions. My car will be going to a restorer at the end of the year, so I trying to have everything ready for him. Is there anyone that thinks going to power brakes is a bad idea? Whats everyone think? Thanks in advance.

It depends on what you like for a pedal feel. Personally, I like manual disc in the older cars. You can stand on them a bit without locking up the brakes.

I had 4 new manual 10” drums installed, but I almost rear-end someone while driving home right after they were installed. They were also hard to hold on a hill. The shop installed Wilwood disks on front and vacuum power master cylinder. Required going to 15” wheels and new rear axles. Was well worth every cent. People drive faster and brake much harder than they did 40-50 years ago since they now have confidence their car will stop quickly with ABS disks. Have to update for safety sake.

I prefer manual, and never had any problems in the last 70 years. OK so make that 55. But we live in the sticks and drive around few idiots too.

Thanks for everyone's input, I believe I'll stay with the manual brakes for now. I got looking at Dr. Diff's website today and now I'm thinking of using some of those $$ for some front suspension parts.

-
Back