Manual Rack & Pinion

-

moparduster

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a manual rack and pinion into an A-body. I have fab skills and know that it wont be a "bolt-in" But just trying to get ideas how you mounted it. brand, size, u-joint lengths. Adapters. Any info would help and pics would make wonders. Thanks

You can put a small one up in the front of the K member (even in it) and flip the front spindles or mount it across the rear of the oil pan where your center link goes. There is always the chance of a bump steer condition if you dont get the geometry correct. Sure would help with header selection on an early A. would have to run a double U joint if its inthe rear as the stock steering would enter at almost a 90 to the rack.

There is a member here that did the rack and pinion on the stock k frame. I just have to remember his name. I believe he used the rack from a 97 dodge Dakota. I'm also in the process of trying to do the same to my car for more header clearance with my 5.7 hemi swap. I was in contact with him a few months back. I had saved pictures but my computer crashed and I lost everything.

From my understanding he has been driving the car in the street for well over a year with no problems.

Thanks, Aj

-
Back