manual steering box cleanout

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
I have a used 16:1 box from a formula s (iirc) that I purchased. I opened the fill plug & some thick brown goo oozed out. I'm thinking I need to clean it out & replenish the grease before I install it. I'm thinking iirc way back an article about many ball bearings etc inside. I this a major deal? Thank you for your time. RR

IIRC the brown goo is about what it takes....you can top it with 90W gear oil but the original stuff was packed in like non running axle grease.

The ball bearings are no big deal. They are gaged. One set in front and one set behind the worm gear assembly. Now the pitman shaft is either 3 bushings or three stacks of needle bearings. What is the part number on your box?

I would have to check the FSM, but I believe the standard fill is Double Ought grease.

If you clean it out, this is what is highly recommended to use. If you are just topping old grease then 90W gear oil.
1969dartswingercleanupweek5 027.JPG

The ball bearings are no big deal. They are gaged. One set in front and one set behind the worm gear assembly. Now the pitman shaft is either 3 bushings or three stacks of needle bearings. What is the part number on your box?
Agree, the ball bearing are not an issue, it is the 167 or so needle bearings that require some attention. But even those are no big deal. Here on FABO are a couple of posts on how to rebuild the manual Mopar boxes or the FSM also had info. I did it and it’s not a huge job. I used the red Mobil 1 grease in the one that I did.

Which Valvoline grease gear to you use. I looked at Amazon and they have a few different ones.
Thanks ..............Ted

I have a 64 Bel with manual steering the PO before the last O must have worked on that box because it sure goes down the road great!! Never had one that tight either.

I've read that more than once, supposedly easy to get, and not expensive
It's a 00 grease just like spec'd. Idea is it's a light enough grease that the heat from the engine makes it flow yet not leak from the box like oil will. 5 bucks a tube at your JD dealer.

-
Back