Manual steering box

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any tips on how to polish up the aluminum case on this steering box? I've tried using the polish that comes with the Dremel tool attachments, and it did clean up good, but it still appears to be "stained" for lack of a better term. Is there any other DIY concoctions that anyone has used that works well?

Thanks

Crushed glass as a blasting media... then a clear coat.

1969dartswingercleanupweek4 151.JPG

1969dartswingerweek6 001.JPG

I blasted mine and it def got blasting media in where it shouldn't have been.

I am definitely no expert, all of the aluminum polishing I have done is by hand with sandpaper, followed by buffing compound on a polishing wheel. But, you should be able to find some cutting compound with more bite to it, that should remove any stains. Once those are gone it’s all about buffing and polishing.

Will the clear coat hold up to the heat in the engine bay?
3+ years and 4000 miles and the one in my Bee still looks the same.
bee200mileinspectionjune12020 084.JPG

The one in the Dart has TTI headers running right around it and nothing has changed with 2 summers of cruising on it...

Excellent!

Now for another question, since you are using manual steering. What do you use for lube in the box?

Corn head grease?
Yep it's the correct viscosity grease to the FSM and cheap at about $5 a tube. When it warms up from engine heat it becomes an oil. Easy to fill if you're rebuilding a box, or you can warm it in a can to pour in... or "Popsicle stick" it through the hole. I'm sure it's easy to find a John Deere dealer in Ohio !

-
Back