Manual steering box

-

smlblk318

Reaction score
Thinking of converting from power to manual steering as my power unit is leaking fairly significantly. Was at the nats this weekend and found a manual box for $75 which I jumped on. Is there a way to know if it's any good or did I waste my money and should have bought new? PST seems to have a good deal going for the box and adapter.

Turn it lock to lock to see if it has any bad spots. It should turn smoothly the whole way. Get it half way to where it's centered exactly and see if there is any play in it. It should have a very slight turning resistance either way from center. How much adjustment is left on the screw? Maybe a photo of it to see what year and model it came from?

Feels tight with no play I can detect. There is definitely resistance in the middle of travel but is only present for approximately 1 revolution of the input shaft.

PXL_20230813_221007991.MP.jpg

PXL_20230813_220942720.jpg

PXL_20230813_220932928.jpg

Usually if it's adjusted correctly, it will have center resistance for about 10-20 degrees either way of input shaft rotation. It looks to be an early V8 box. What's it going in?

Put it in. Get everything set up for it. If you like it. Leave it alone. If you want something better. Sell it, buy a new unit. With our discount, they ain't much at all.

I take it back. That looks to be a '67-9 box going by the casting number. Somehow it looked like the earlier one with the small mounting bolt holes.

Steer and Gear in Columbus can make it like new. Great people to interact with. They were there at The Nats too with their booth.

Steer and Gear in Columbus can make it like new. Great people to interact with. They were there at The Nats too with their booth.
Yup saw them there and got some literature. Very expensive IMO. Seems like PST has better deals if you don't need to have your core rebuilt for originality.

I have no experience with PST but did have S&G do my p/s box in my 71 Demon. VERY positive experience!!

-
Back