manual steering boxes

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
are manual steering boxes interchangable. Between a and b bodies. .I was gonnna use one from a 66 coronet and put it in my 74 duster?? Are they all the same???

I believe there are only two types of manual boxes-small and large sector.If it's a small sector I would think it should work.

I think all the cars came with small sector. Large sector is trucks..

Interchange on power or nonpower steering boxes is '62-'72 A- and B-body. The '73-'76 A-body steering boxes interchange with all '73-up RWD Mopar passenger cars. Difference is small (early) vs. large (late) output/pitman shaft spline.

All of the A-body manual boxes are "small" sector & interchange.

If you use a B-body/Truck/Van manual steering box that has a "large" sector...then you will need a 73 & up power steering pitman arm for an A-body. But don't use a "B" body manual box if you have headers.

A large sector box will bolt up & work just fine but the top of the box is built different. Most headers won't clear the box on the top by about 3/8" & on the bottom by a 1/4".

Some early A boxes have smaller bolt holes, which would need to be drilled out to fit a later manual or PS car.

-
Back