Manual steering conversion, need info

-

Blackhatguy

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've got a 1964 dart with v8 conversion, and I am looking to convert it from power to manual steering. Money and time right now is at a premium, but I do work in a weld shop so if any fabrication needs to be done it will not be a problem. Can anyone here give me some pointers? or even better "the whole recipe" if you've done it before?

The manual gear you need is the small sector shaft and you need an early A manual steering shaft or just by the whole manual steering column. Also you can reuse the pitman arm (use a pitman arm puller to remove it from your old box ). You may also want to buy a lower steering column seal and a repair kit for the steering shaft joint while you have it apart.

Brian

I extended an auto column to "reach' a manual box. If your handy with a welder, its easy. Mine required nothing more than a A body manual steering box and a 3" piece of steering shaft end I hack sawed off a boneyard A body car. I got pics somewhere. cut old one at pin and weld new piece in. Give yourself a nice chamfer at mating surface for good weld penetration and brace with angle iron to keep it true. Grind, fill and paint. Voila. Alot easier than pulling the friggin shaft out the column from the bottom.
DSC00016.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back