Manual steering coupler shoes and spring

-

Avispa

Reaction score
I have a diagram showing the spring coming in from the side to hold the shoes, does's the spring come in from the side or the bottom, seems like there would be no room if installed on the side.

OK, don't make sense though, I'm sure You know Mr. Peppers ! :)

Ok, tomorrow, I'll pull it and make sure the shoes fit over the pin, film at 11.
TKS

OK, still wrestling with the shaft and coupler, in looking at the pic above, my coupler doesn't look like that, it is flat on both sides, I can get the shoes in but without the spring, here's a pic.
Any thoughts? wrong kit?, doesn't require a spring?

upload_2019-9-29_12-52-20.png

Sometimes it takes two hands and another finger, try pushing down on the center of the spring, (where the bulge is) with your thumb.

Called Carmen at Steer and Gear, sent Him the pic I posted here, He say's that coupler is off of a truck, this coupler kit no workee on it!
Next question, how in the hell am i gonna get this one off and the other one installed, not an abundance of room down there.

Nuthin' like pureed' horse, huh Halifaxhops ! :)
I finally removed the coupler and took a few pics of what I was talking about. If You look at the shape of the coupler, it's rectangular, the coupler in the S & G diagram is not, it has reliefs for the top of the spring to fit in.
Pic#1
Straight on shot of the coupler showing that it is rectangular with no reliefs and the S&G diagram sent with the rebuild kit.
upload_2019-9-30_12-14-43.png

Pic#2
I put some bubble wrap in the bottom of the coupler housing and partially installed the shoes and spring , this shows the top of the spring (hump) will not physically fit inside the coupler.
upload_2019-9-30_12-18-43.png

I never saw a coupler like that!

Look on Ebay for the cover retainer wire bail. Makes life simpler.

I never saw a coupler like that!

Look on Ebay for the cover retainer wire bail. Makes life simpler.
Did you ever get coupler done.63 6465 Darts had this coupler working on mine cant find parts heard spring and shoes different shoes will work but have to use old spring

-
Back