Manual Steering Options

-

Haney

www.carsonandironmt.com
Reaction score
I am thinking that while I am have my motor out, I would like to convert from power to manual steering. What are my options???? Here is what I think they are with some questions... Any help or input will be greatly appreciated.

1. Flaming River Manual Box and coupler. Where is the best (cheapest) place to buy.

2. OEM 20:1 Box. Where can you buy?

3. OEM 16:1 Box. Where can you buy?

I have looked at both Steer and Gear and Firm Feel and they do not list manual boxes anymore in the faster ratios. Just 24:1

Thanks,

Flaming River Manual Box and coupler.

Pointless waste of money. It's unnecessarily heavy, with its iron housing rather than the factory's more-than-adequate, much lighter weight aluminum housing. And the 16:1 ratio, whether in a Flaming River box or a factory box, is a big damnuisance on the street. Parking becomes a very uncomfortable chore, even if you have relatively narrow tires and a lightweight engine (such as my '65 with 205/70R14 tires and an aluminum 225). That 16:1 box drained every last drop of enjoyment out of driving that car.

OEM 20:1 Box. Where can you buy?

You can't; there's no such a thing as an OE 20:1 box. The 20:1 ratio was never factory installed. It has always been an aftermarket worm and ball nut assembly meant to be built into an existing original steering box. Mopar Performance used to sell the package (p/n P4007612); last time I looked the price had skyrocketed because of low stock. Either Steer & Gear or Firm Feel (I don't recall which; call both and ask, because they're both very slow to update their websites) was unimpressed with the declining quality of the MP item and when I spoke to them last autumn, were in final testing of their own higher-quality 20:1 worm and ball nut package. Don't know what the state of that project is, but probably further along than last autumn! I really like the 20:1 ratio. It is neither too slow (like the 24:1) nor too stiff (like the 16:1). It really is just right; all the factory boxes should've come like this. Very much worth the extra hassle and reasonable extra cost to specify this ratio when having a box rebuilt or buying a built-up box off the shelf.

OEM 16:1 Box. Where can you buy?

Go fish. Very scarce piece. I wouldn't buy another one, me (see above).

What's the goal here?

-
Back