Manual Steering to Power Steering

-

scuba0331

Reaction score
I converted by 1974 4-Speed Duster from Manual Steering to Power Steering. As you all know the steering shaft is to long.

So drilled out the plastic pins that hold the two pieces together. Well the issue is the lower column bearing I have is not the plastic one with the two bolts. The is a retainer welded to the shaft than a spring and is appears the bearing is pressed on.

For the shaft to collapse the way I want it to I need to remove the reatiner, spring and bearing and slide it down towards the steering pot coupler. Can I just replace it with one of the plastic lower column bearings with the two bolts?

Attached is the picture of the current bearing.

steering bearing.jpg

None of that stuff in the picture should be welded to the shaft, make sure it's not just rusted in place. The "C" ring should slide off with a little persuasion, the bearing fits on the shaft pretty snug but isn't pressed on. If there is enough length on the skinny part of the shaft at the bottom you could just cut the bottom of the shaft and redrill the shaft for the coupler pin.

Do it right....get a column or shaft from a PS car...there are plenty in wreckers.
What do you think would happen If you got into an accident with your column already collapsed?

i would trade you straight across. send me a pic of the piece you need and we can work something out. mine is power steering and floor shift and all taken apart so we can trade the whole thing or just the one piece

-
Back