Manual steering with A/C?

-

LeftyJD

Reaction score
I'm contemplating pulling the power steering outta my Duster. But being a driver in Sacramento, I want to keep the A/C for our hot 105+ summer days. Did Ma Mopar ever make pulleys for that? Seems like an odd combo that I don't recall ever seeing. So it would have crank, water pump/fan, alt, AC pumps to drive. Small block car, fyi. Or is an aftermarket setup my only option? I'm really tired of the over assist+twitchy feel, and wouldn't mind loosing some weight off the nose/cleaning up engine bay. Yes I know the AC is crazy heavy but it earns its keep! I'm plenty strong to steer manual all day, just keep the cold air blasting in my face please.

I knew somebody here knew the answer after search didn't turn anything up. Also the 1970 switch explains a lot, all the Mopars with AC I've dealt with have been 70'+ A's or E bodies. So know to try and figure out/find a pulley setup for it. I'm sure auto zone down the street stocks them:rolleyes:

Run the factory crank pulley.

The PS is run off a separate pulley behind the W/P, AC and alternator on your crank.

Run the factory crank pulley.

The PS is run off a separate pulley behind the W/P, AC and alternator on your crank.
I wish that was the setup under my hood. Mine has the W/P and Steering pump on one belt, and in front of that is the dual belts running A/C and alternator.

Sidenote Cracked- Finally got that 8 3/4 in and beat on it a bit, no problems at all. Thanks again!

I wish that was the setup under my hood. Mine has the W/P and Steering pump on one belt, and in front of that is the dual belts running A/C and alternator.

Yup, that's how the later stuff was run. Alternator and A/C off dual belts, water pump and power steering off a single. And you can't take the power steering out of the loop because it acts as the tensioner, can't have the water pump run direct off the crank pulley.

Easiest way is to use a big block idler pulley, like this one.
s-l500.jpg

Here's a few links to one's on Ebay. That way you can keep all your other systems, no need to get new pulleys, just work the idler into the system in place of the power steering.
New and expensive (more than one available)
67-72 Mopar A B E C Body Cuda GTX 383 440 Fan Belt Idler Pulley Bracket W/Air | eBay
used and not as expensive
1969-72 Mopar A B E Body Big Block 383 440 A/C Idler Pulley WITH BRACKET | eBay
used, more expensive
Mopar 361-440 Idler Bracket, Spacer & Pulley for A.C. | eBay

Awesome info 72Blu, thank you! I figured there was a reasonable solution.

-
Back