manual to disc brakes

-

justcuz

Reaction score
is it possible to upgrade manual drums to either power or disc brakes?

would it be a big improvement compared to a stock set up?

what would be the approx cost for this conversion?

I think you meant drum brakes to discs, as either set up can be manual.

Yes it can be done, what car?

Money is all relative..... used or new, are you paying someone to do it? if you are doing it yourself, what is your skill level?

Are you state side or somewhere else in the world?

I can tell you that on the higher end of the scale you can spend thousands of dollars to convert to 4 wheel discs. Or you can go to the salvage yard and spend hundreds. Like Valiant said, it's all relative.

What is your budget and what are your goals with the car?

"would it be a big improvement compared to a stock set up?" Yes, and it is one that could save someone's life. My 9 inch drums on the Dart are very tricky especially when wet. They are being replaced with a complete set of discs from Master power.

thanks for the input

I am still searching for my 71-73 Duster

and a lot of them have drum brakes

just wanted to know what was involved in swaping to a disc set up

or would I be better off looking for one with discs from the factory?

and know at least I know it can be done...for a price

as my mechanical skills are limited, I would have to pay

someone to do the conversion for me

just need to find my car first

but thanks again for the advice

Justcuz,
since you dont have the car yet you really need to concentrate on finding one with NO RUST. If you can accomplish that, you have already saved enough to put factory front discs on a front drum car. There are a lot of OEM disc spindles floating around. There is a interchange book and a ton of knowledge here that you can draw upon.
finding a really good project car is your goal first.
Andrew

Justcuz, it sounds like you are getting sick of drums AND manual steering. When I swapped out the drums for manual disc on the 66 in my avatar, I was able to get ALL of the parts needed to do the swap from one donor car. That means the spindles, rotors, calipers, and the distribution block. I lucked out by the calipers being already almost new, though I didn't know it at the time of removal. The items I had to buy were the pads, the master cylinder, the disc brake lines and rubber hoses, and even the front to rear brake line as that is also different from drum to disc. All told, I have probably close to $700.00 in the parts alone, and I traded for the parts on the donor car. I also did all the work myself, so it is easily a $1000.00 job to buy everything and have it installed.

By the way, I saw a post very recently where a member here had a complete Kelsey-Hayes front disc setup removed from his car to change to the later style discs with BBP, and he was offering the entire KH setup for $300.00, a steal for the parts included. I also saw another member with the same post offering his for $450.00, both were very good deals in my opinion as the parts were all useable as is. Thats the kind of score I would keep an eye out for if you really intend to do this swap, you'll be way ahead if you can find a complete setup such as these. Good luck with your project, Geof

By the way, I have a 74 Duster for sale with a 318 auto, manual disc brakes, 8 1/4" rear, bucket seats with console, dual painted racing mirrors, rallye rims and BF Goodrich tires, a lot of the good stuff already in place. It runs and drives, but needs a couple things done before it hits the road again. $2500.00 or best if you are interested. P.M. me if you'd like any info or pictures, Geof

I have just purchased a 1971 Plymouth Scamp with drum brakes. I have found a 1973 Scamp with front discs. I can purchase the whole brake setup for $75.00. Is there a lot of work involved in the swap, and will I need to purchase any other materials?

Does that include the upper control arms?

All in all, it's not a huge amount of work; the main problem is practically every suspension bolt is seriously rusted. You'll want to get the ball joints and brake hoses new, of course.

I just installed this 15 inch rotor kit from Baer on my '65 B body car. I had to use late model FMJ knuckles. The 6 piston caliper requires a rear hung configuration but that isn't any problem. Total cost for a kit like this is about $4000.
5710996-15inch.jpg

-
Back