manual valve body

-
My 73 340 Duster has a TA reverse pattern manual valve body, I use a B&M Pro Stick for a shifter. From Neutral i pull back on the shifter and holding the trigger it goes into 1st gear....pull back on the shifter ...in 2nd...and pull shifter and holding trigger I am in 3rd.....now as I slow down I can bump the shifter forward to downshift....Or as I stop I had hold the TRIGGER and move the shifter straight from 3rd gear into Neutral ...not stopping in 2nd or 1st....and it has a Reverse lock out.....

Pretty simple

I like the Trans-Go kits, and have installed quite a few, mostly IIs . It used to be the kit included everything to do a; -I,-II,or-III. IDK if they still come that way. A -III was easy to convert back to a -II, just by flipping a pair of plates, IIRC.

I had a full manual in a 69 Barracuda /6/console car. With a 2800TC, I was gonna be Mr. Kool.. I think that lasted about a week. Maybe two. Then I converted it to semi-auto.All the fun of full manual, but when in D; auto-downshifts and starts in low. That was 1978 or 79, so I was about 25, dang that's a long time ago.
All my auto cars since, got the semis

I know you know your stuff, but I have a reverse manual (if I ever get the thing back together LOL) and absolutely LOVED it!!

Plus if you are tryin' to "ease" past a cop, you an just start out in 2nd and "tone things down" LOL In fact you can start in 3rd, but go easy

I even ran it for awhile with the factory console shifter

I lived 45 minutes from work and the 69 was my DD.
In rush-hour traffic; the constant 1-2/2-1 grew from initial "this is great" to "what was I thinking". Even with the 2800TC,starting in second was not the slanty's best moment.
IMO
An mvb is not for a DD application, or an application where you might drive 12,000 miles a year.
Now for your weekend bomber, that's different,
and I now have a second car for DD, so since I love to shift, I have a stick-car for that. But even then, it has 3.55s so it's a two gears in traffic deal. However, I now have a hi-torque 360 which does start in second.
I was waiting for a few fellows to chime in with their stories similar to mine, to balance the mvb affectionados, but since I seem to be standing alone, I suppose I ought to retract my opinion; so
to the OP; I'm sorry
to the rest of you,Rmvb lovers, stuck in morning traffic, with one hand married to the shifter, especially to a column shifter, which is what I was talking about, I'm sorry too,but not for the same reasons,lol.

MVB and column shift is a recipe for disaster

My computer crashed, lol, else that wouldda been one of the shortest AJ posts ever!
Because the column shifter is like a big rubber band. If you don't push hard enough nothing happens, but if you push just a tad too much it might jump a gear or worse hit neutral. Downshifting is even worse,cuz if you go from third to first, your rear wheels will will skid and you have a good chance of losing steering control. You will be spending so much time concentrating on not fubarring the shift, you will become a hazzard to all the other drivers on the road. Where is the control in that?
On the street, do yourself a favor and get a semi-auto kit and a floorshift with a stout shift cable. Just as much up-shift fun, auto backshift, or not,variable throttle pressure,and put in D so your girlfriend will ride with you.
My son's only car is RMVB on the column and he doesn't drive it easy! [11:1 compression solid roller 360] My wife column shifts her satellite RMVB, and she drives hard too. [395 inch 5.7 Hemi]
I did it for years in the 4 door valiant that is now my son's. It was our only car for years. Never, ever, even one disaster.

I do like ratchet shifters, but got sick of burning shift cables when I had a 71 Demon with RMVB [cheap headers]. It was our only car at the time and I put a lot of miles on it driving to construction jobs. I always kept a spare cable, but hated changing one after a hard days work. I have used column shift every since, except in my sweptline which has the dash mounted shifter. RMVBs in everything but the 98 Durango.

-
Back