Manually crank 265 Hemi

-

bowdengrayson

Reaction score
Hey

Looking for some help.
I have stripped my 265 Hemi, and removed the auto gearbox.
Just wondering how to manually crank the engine so I can rotate the torque Convertor to get at the bolts to remove it.
The harmonic balancer doesn’t have a large nut to put a braker bar on to manually crank it.

Cheers
Bowden Grayson

Not sure if it’s seized.
It’s been sitting out in the weather for a while before I picked it up. There’s a mixture of water and oil in the pan.
I’ve taken the spark plugs out and sprayed with penetrating oil to try and loosen everything up as much as possible.
Just need to try get this torque Convertor rotating so I can remove it and get it onto the engine stand.

Just unbolt the transmission from the engine and slide it off. The converter will remain. Then you can get the pan off and see if it's seized. Sounds like the probability is high.

Yeh that’s what I’ve done.
I just don’t have the engine on an engine crane, it’s just sitting in a tyre in a trailer at the moment. Which is why I was hoping to just try and crank it. That way I can remove the torque converter and then put it on the engine stand.
But if I need to put it on the engine crane than I will.

Can you get a screw driver or pry bar braced against the back of the motor and into the teeth on the starting ring on the converter. You’ll need to do something like that to keep the crank from turning as you loosen the converter bolts. Pull the spark plugs to make it easier to turn if you haven’t already (I don’t know how far you’ve gone with stripping the motor).

Put longer bolts (too long) in the balancer where the pulley bolts on and a prybar between them.

They actually make a flywheel turning tool which engages the ring gear teeth. If you can fabricate, you might be able to make one

-
Back