Map lamp location

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
So I'm working on Daisy (my 73 dart 4 door and soon to be family daily driver) and there is a problem with the map lamp. the previous owner did some . . . .well. . . fun. . . wiring that I've been trying to figure out. Most of it has been fairly straightforward forward, but one head scratcher is this dang map lamp. So it looks like the last guy just wired in a random light socket and left it hanging. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of where it is supposed to be so I can get that all buttoned up.

I can take a picture of where the one in my 69 Barracuda is, if that would help.

Yeah! I've been scouring the net looking for pictures and I can't find a thing. at this point anything is a good start. Thanks

What the factory used could very well look like just some random light fixture poked under the dash in a worthless location. I think owners were supposed to spread that huge Rand-McNally map on the floor. And just leave it there since it couldn't be folded back again. LOL

72 Dart is just to the right of the Ash Tray under the dash.
73 was the same...mounted under dash and to the right of the ash tray....It was a light socket with a small black plastic shroud to project the light downward on the map....my original 73 dart sport still has it and it works.....here is a link to a pic of one that was for sale on this site

[SOLD] - Map Light

Awesome. Thanks for the info. That is the piece is keep seeing on ebay, I just wast sure it was the right one for the car. I'm going to have to look in to getting one.

Same in my '69. I have it out just hanging by wires at the moment as I am doing some under-dash work, but the screw bracket sets into the metal lip below and to right of ashtray with the light behind it (toward firewall) shining down.

On my 73 Dart hard top it's way over toward the end of the dash on the passenger side and it's factory for this car.
Maybe 3-4 inches from the passenger end.

Here's the Original on my 68 GTS..Just to the right of the ashtray...
WIN_20161116_10_30_33_Pro.jpg

WIN_20161116_10_30_55_Pro.jpg

On my 73 Dart hard top it's way over toward the end of the dash on the passenger side and it's factory for this car.
Maybe 3-4 inches from the passenger end.
Same on 75 Duster. I have the big triple vent AC duct in the middle, so figure that's why they moved it.

Mine is also on the far right side under the dash perhaps 3 to 4 inches in from the top of passenger foot well kick panel. Mine doesn't have AC. (75 Scamp). Chrysler must have moved it from near the centre of the dash to the far right sometime in the mid '70's as I recall there being a relay located near the centre of the dash on mine.... I don't recall if it's the seat belt relay or horn relay.

-
Back