Markings on converter

-

Cudaroy

Reaction score
Hi All,Ijust removed the stock 318 from my 68 FB and noticed the converter has orange markings on it. It reads 1125A. Is this possibly the stall read from the factory? I am planning a 2500 stall but was curious to what these markings could mean. Thanks in advance.......

I remember reading something about the markings they used but can't remember everything. I believe it was just their way of identifying the different converters for different applications. Such as a converter with orange markings was for a 318. A converter with blue markings was for a /6. Since your engine was a 318 and there was no such thing as a performance 318 back then they only used one converter on it I believe. Unlike a 383 that had a std. and a magnum version that came with a high stall converter. I highly doubt yours is anything special.

I remember reading something about the markings they used but can't remember everything. I believe it was just their way of identifying the different converters for different applications. Such as a converter with orange markings was for a 318. A converter with blue markings was for a /6. Since your engine was a 318 and there was no such thing as a performance 318 back then they only used one converter on it I believe. Unlike a 383 that had a std. and a magnum version that came with a high stall converter. I highly doubt yours is anything special.

Hi,
I'm not saying it is anything special...in fact the reason I asked the question was I was surprised the factory stall could potentially be THAT low. Must say that it sure felt that low though.
The different colors you mentioned seems to make sense, would sure make it easier to ID at swap meets. Thanks.

Hi,
I'm not saying it is anything special...in fact the reason I asked the question was I was surprised the factory stall could potentially be THAT low. Must say that it sure felt that low though.
The different colors you mentioned seems to make sense, would sure make it easier to ID at swap meets. Thanks.

Gotcha. Another thing that affects the stall speed is the engine's torque output. If you use a /6 converter behind a V8 you'll get a couple hundred RPM more stall. A poor man's hi-stall if you will.

From what I have read there are only 3 converters used mid 60s to mid 70s. 10.75" and 11.75" for a 727 and a 10.75" for a 904. Hemis got a slightly different 10.75" with bigger threads in the drive lugs but other then that the same converter that a 318/727 used. All the different stall speed came from the power input. I'm not positive on the slant 6 but I bet if it's a 10.75" it's the same as the one from my 318 the factory service manual says the /6 stall is 1450-1650 while the 318 is 1750-1950. The only way to get a low buck higher stall is if you have a 11.75" converter and you swap it for a 10.75". One reason a 70 383 4 bbl ran so strong is it got the 10.75 while the 440-4 got the 11.75 so the 383 stalls 300 rpm higher then the 440. Put the 10.75 converter behind the 440 and it will stall as high or higher then the Hemi, or almost 600 rpm more then it did stock.

There might have only been 3 different physical sizes but the internal fins were set at a different angle to produce a different stall speed. Therefore there were different stall speed converters for the same engine in some cases such as a 383 vs. 383 magnum and 440 vs. 440 magnum. I have owned cars with each and you could definetly tell it wasn't just derived from the higher torque output. BTW: physical size has very little to do with how much a converter stalls.

I disagree, even the part numbers are the same.

I do agree that Mopar Performance made higher stall converters and there might be some late 70s pre-lockup years that might have high stall (like the little red express) but the factory musclecar years had only 3 basic converters installed. The 120k and the 145K with the 145 coming in two different input spline for 904 and 727. The only other part number was the Hemi a 145k with larger mounting holes.

What part #'s?

I do agree that Mopar Performance made higher stall converters and there might be some late 70s pre-lockup years that might have high stall (like the little red express) but the factory musclecar years had only 3 basic converters installed. The 120k and the 145K with the 145 coming in two different input spline for 904 and 727. The only other part number was the Hemi a 145k with larger mounting holes.

Yes Mopar perf. made them in varying stall speeds but I wasn't refering to them.

The markings may mean something useful, or not. If a supplier made a shipment of bad parts to the factory, they are required to "certify" their stock for "defect free" parts for a minimum of 30 days after the issue was found and they can guarantee the parts shipped after that would not have that defect. This could be a mark for that.

Engineers could also run small batches of parts to see if the new change will affect the assembly/production process. They would also mark the parts so they could identify them during the batch build. If the parts would run through the system without any issues, then the supplier would get the approval to make the change for full production. I used to run these all the time for different parts.

So you are saying that mopar put a 166k or 175k in at the factory? What cars had these?

So you are saying that mopar put a 166k or 175k in at the factory? What cars had these?

No. I didn't say that at all. If you read my comments again you'll see I said they didn't use Mopar perf. converters. I said they had low and high stall converters. What their K factor is I don't know. They used them in the engines I mentioned earlier, the 383 and 440 in non magnum and magnum versions.

Listen, we're off topic and I can see that what you've read you believe. Nothing I say will convince you, and I have no problem with that. Believe what you want just like I'll believe what I know from 32 yrs. of experience owning Mopars and rebuilding torqueflites. So lets just call it a draw and quietly exit stage right.

That's cool, I actually think we are probably saying the exact same thing in different ways.

your wrong.

I am honestly asking this, please somebody tell me where I can find one of these factory high stalls in a junkyard? I'm saying its easy, every 318 has one. If there is something better then that please tell me where. Another question surely the 440 sixpac motors would come with one of these high stalls right?

I am honestly asking this, please somebody tell me where I can find one of these factory high stalls in a junkyard? I'm saying its easy, every 318 has one. If there is something better then that please tell me where. Another question surely the 440 sixpac motors would come with one of these high stalls right?

without pulling the transmission out of alot of junkyard mopars I'm not sure how you plan to find a higher stall factory converter, by the time you spend finding a factory converter and pull a transmission to get one of unknown condition you may as well of purchased a new one or a slightly used one from a member

Ok I give up, I'll just stay over here on the wrong side launching at 2500 rpm with my factory 318 converter. I'm not alone over here...
http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57725
two basic factory converter designs 120K and 145K that stalled differently depending on what they were in.
converters performing different then that are either aftermarket, broken, or the trans is slipping.

Ok I give up, I'll just stay over here on the wrong side launching at 2500 rpm with my factory 318 converter. I'm not alone over here...
http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57725
two basic factory converter designs 120K and 145K that stalled differently depending on what they were in.
converters performing different then that are either aftermarket, broken, or the trans is slipping.

I'm just saying by the time you find what your looking for in a salvage yard after pulling many transmissions you can get any stall you wish in the aftermarket for a really good price and there guaranteed to work and have warranty

-
Back