massachusetts gun laws

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a question for you in Massachusetts. Im a current resident of Pennsylvania and may be relocating to Ma for a job. I have a large collection of firearms from collectables to semi auto military rifles and hand guns. I was doing a little research about the laws in Ma and Im not quite clear on them. Here in Pa we can almost buy and own anything we want. Im just asking if anybody on here can explain what their laws are.

Thanks
Evan

Don't go,...they're gun laws suck,...you won't like em,...They are about two steps away from communism...

Maybe a good place to start:

http://goal.org/masslawpages/moving_to_ma.html

MA looks a lot like CA with regards to gun laws, mostly stupid and useless designed simply to discourage firearm ownership. If you have an AR-15 or AK-47 type firearm with a 20 or 30 round clip, you might have to make them "compliant." This can range from simple, toss all your 20 and 30 round magazines and replace them with 10 round magazines to complex like buying new lower receivers, and installing a "bullet button."

Not trying to encourage you to break or bend the laws. But you may want to simply store any non compliant guns with a relative in PA until you are completely familiar with MA laws.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Jamius is right. Massachusetts is one of the most if not the most police state in the country. I was born there and lived there up until 5 yrs ago. I would never move back there. I do understand you have a great job offer which will require you to relocate there, but bring lots of $$$$ because it is very expensive to live there. Their gun laws are very strict. Is that the motorcycle place in Wilmington??

"New Residents: The laws exempts move-in and possession in the home for new residents for sixty (60) days. Until you receive the proper license do not transport any firearms and/ or ammunition. GOAL recommends getting the required training and application in to the police department within the first two weeks of residency as it may take forty-five (45) days to process your application for licensure."

This kind of BS makes my blood boil.

dustermaniac said:
Jamius is right. Massachusetts is one of the most if not the most police state in the country. I was born there and lived there up until 5 yrs ago. I would never move back there. I do understand you have a great job offer which will require you to relocate there, but bring lots of $$$$ because it is very expensive to live there. Their gun laws are very strict. Is that the motorcycle place in Wilmington??

Nope is a street rod shop in Leominster.

Well, welcome to Mass. then. As far as the clips you have - have to be pre 94 I belive.
If they are newer clips am told they have some sort of stamp on the clips - forgot what
the stamp was. You will want to get a Class "A" FID card - but first you must take a couple of firearms saftey couses and then fill out the forms from the local police station,
it's up to the town's police chief to say yes or no on the Class "A" license and he doesn't need any reason to say no and there is nothing you can do if he says no.

I'd walk up and down the road, picking up cans to sell to the scrappers before I would voluntarily move to a state with draconian gun laws such as those! Look at the big picture, and only you know your tolerance level. Good luck.

By the way - I would keep your guns down in Penn. till you get your FID card. Also - if
you move to Mass from another state you DO NOT need to register any firearms you brought up here. However, once your up here - anything you buy must be registered within 7 days after purchase. One of the little things they haven't changed - yet. Chances are you own some guns that are not allowed up here so I wouldn't bring them up. Such as Assult guns - they have a list you have to check and also see what attachments are not allowed - i.e., folding stocks are one of them- you'd have to read up on that also. Look at the bright side -all those taxes you will be paying will be uselessly spent and that toll money from the Pike will pay for the people manning the tolls paychecks and retirement plans!!! Also, if you get laid off you get $643/week and $25 per child for unemployment ---and we wonder why no one wants to work.

R.I. to Leominster is a hike. Rhode Island is not much better than Mass. My Son lives in Woonsocket R.I. and he hates it.

NYS is really bad with handgun laws, I know that. I almost took a job up there years ago. I have a good sized collection of handguns. To bring them into the state each one has to be registered and written in on your permit. To get the permit you have to be a resident for at least 6 months, then it could take another 6 months to get the permit (and you may never get it since it is totally at the descretion of the county judge). If you do get it each gun has to be transferred into the state through a dealer and then put on your permit. It was quite obvious from this rediculus process that NY does not want people moving there with guns......

Who says anyone in MA needs to know what guns you have?

Vote for non communist, pro gun,pro constitution legislators.

NYS is really bad with handgun laws, I know that. I almost took a job up there years ago. I have a good sized collection of handguns. To bring them into the state each one has to be registered and written in on your permit. To get the permit you have to be a resident for at least 6 months, then it could take another 6 months to get the permit (and you may never get it since it is totally at the descretion of the county judge). If you do get it each gun has to be transferred into the state through a dealer and then put on your permit. It was quite obvious from this rediculus process that NY does not want people moving there with guns......

you are 100 percent correct and then it cost $20 to $40 per gun dealer transfer depending on where you go. Chenango county I didn;t automaticly get my CCW you had to take this extra class to get it. $300 and 140 rounds of ammo later, but if was fun LOL. I have My PA one which gives my a few more states I forget them all. You should get that one. I think you can do that online for like $25.00 I did last year

You can look at Connecticut,...gun laws are a little better,...but you get *** pounded in taxes for......well,....everything.

Can't help you out about gun regulations in MA, but out here in California we have a web site, calguns.net that is excellent for information.
Do a GOOGLE search, and see if there is anything similar on the internet for MA.

I've never really understood gun laws, as that is a RIGHT guaranteed to us in the CONSTITUTION. I've been looking into getting a CCW in Ohio. It seems everywhere you go there is a laundry list of regulations.

-
Back