Master cyl rod stuck

-

Quikitty

Reaction score
Working on a 69 barracuda, doing a restoration and just did a pirate jacks front disc conversion and changing the master cylinder. I can not seem to get the old push rod out of the old master cylinder. Kind of need it for the new master cylinder.
Any suggestions? It rolls and spins like there is a clip or something holding it in, darned if I can find how to get it out.

BCDC3E66-D580-4725-B585-205F398F383D.jpeg

9E168DF9-E332-481A-BC99-775DA2C3EDAB.jpeg

All that holds it in is a small piece of rubber tube. Use the pivot bolt to hold it in a vice (or something solid) and give the casting a wack with a brass hammer.

Or bolt it back together on the firewall with boot retainer back on the master cylinder, and hook up the push rod to the pedal. Squirt a little WD40 in where the "clip" is. Then grab the brake pedal and simply pull it firmly towards you to pull the rod out of the back of the master cylinder. The "clip" is actually just a rubber packer that holds the pushrod into the master cylinder piston. New ones are available from doctor diff.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!
Got to love it when it’s that easy.
I spent at least an hour, maybe 3 beers looking at it, trying to figure it out before asking.
Beating it with a hammer did come to mind but not as discribed above, would not have been productive.

Clamp the flange in a vice and pry the rod out with a long pry bar on the bolt or eyelet on the end. You are tearing the rubber.

whacking a cast iron piece with a hammer isn’t a good habit to get into.

It worked everytime for me.
Just Jinxed.
This isnt the 70s anymore, guess I should be more careful, these MCs are becoming harder to find.

He wasn't planning to keep it.... why I instructed how I did..
Yes I realize that. Even so, whacking cast parts is a bad habbit to get into. Just as easy to pry it off.

-
Back