Master cylinder/booster on 440 Duster

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
This is essentially the kit I bought, silly me I had never dry fitted it with engine in.

It's tight just to move it around in there, and I think it might hit the valve cover when fully bolted in.

Is anyone else using this with your 440? If not, what system are you running? I am not opposed to manual brakes but would like to avoid

1688235362580.png

Not doubting that at all... There was just no need for it after the word cylinder

I bought mine with the 440 already swapped in. Manual disc brakes. Have not tried to haul it down from triple digits yet but has stopped fine from every other situation.

Last edited:
I bought man with the 440 already swapped in. Manual disc brakes. Have not tried to haul it down from triple digits yet but has stopped fine from every other situation.

Thank you, I ordered one just now. still going to try and make the power work but it looks very doubtful, might as well try as i am 1.5 years too late to return

So it might work assuming you're running stock style heads and valve covers. TrickFlows are about 1/2" taller than stock style heads and cast/fabricated valve covers are pretty tall compared to the old stamp steel ones. Personally I can't tried to use a vacuum style booster BUT the TF Heads and cast valve covers are causing me a ton of headaches with the hydroboost I'm installing.

Isn't there some offset thingy for booster

He may be able to use a 4 bolt offset master. Reason I say this is because a regular manual 4 bolt master will bolt on where a power booster was. So I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Kim

IMG_1384.png

IMG_1383.png

Last edited:
If you do your math correctly with master cyl displacement and pedal ratio , manual brakes will stop it fine.
There are several on line calculators to help. 180 MPH road coarse cars do not use power assist.

Machine man has a good point. I have a 440 in a 69 Dart and used an Eci kit which uses just a manual master cyclinder . The front are disc brakes and rear are 11 1/4" drum brakes which work fine . One thing I would change is the master cylinder to a Dakota style master that utilize a plastic reservoir with thread on caps ( no dripping or leakage from lid) .

Not exactly what your asking but here is a 400 with trickflow heads and cal custom valve covers.
I run a 1 1/8 bore master from a 90s dodge ramcharger (dorman M98894) and hydroboost from a 2000 ish diesel ram.

Screenshot_20230704_065055_Instagram.jpg

Mine was originally a front disc (kelsey hays) but manual brake car, so I ordered this master which appears to be for that type of application. I am running all 73 Duster big bolt stuff now. I played around again yesterday with my power kit, and it may clear but just barely. There is alot of adjustment on the 4 mounting slots, tons actually, so as long as it does not bind up too badly against the grommet I might be ok... Either way if the 1" bore master works I have a backup plan

CENTRIC13063019

-
Back