Master cylinder brake lines fitting ports

-

French demon

Reaction score
Hello guys

Following a serious problem of brake booster, I went to an universal BB/MC replacement :
7" Single Zinc Universal Power Brake Booster + Bail Top Master Cylinder Chevy | eBay
I also purchased a pair of new master cylinder brake lines from Motorcitysupercars :
1967-74 Mopar Dart Duster A Body Power Disc Or Drum Master Cylinder Lines Ss | eBay

Now I have a question.
The master cylinder has the brake lines fitting ports inverted : 1/2"-20 in front and 9/16"-18 in rear.
On my original Mopar A-body master cylinder, it's the contrary (9/16"-18 in front and 1/2"-20 in rear)
May I invert the brake lines on the MC? Would this affect the car braking or not?

:thankyou:
François

Use Edelmann master cylinder adapters #258306 and #258307, so your new master cylinder ports match your original.

Going thru the same thing, PO had the lines switched, even though the fittings were different sized.
Need to make new brake lines to fix the issue.

Following Townsend very useful advice, I won't switch the brake lines. I will use adapters to correctly mount them.

I didn't know that such adapters did exist. And as they aren't metric-threaded, I had to order them in USA :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Use Edelmann master cylinder adapters #258306 and #258307, so your new master cylinder ports match your original.
Thanks, you just saved me the headache of making new lines, just order 3 of each and it cost a whopping $16 shipped.

I cut the flares off, change the nuts, re-flare .
Depending on manufacturer, either front or rear port can be front/disc brake .

I cut the flares off, change the nuts, re-flare .
Depending on manufacturer, either front or rear port can be front/disc brake
Just for clarification...

SOME master cylinders use the forward most port for the front brakes but in my experiance that is few and far between

-
Back