Master cylinder question? What's it fit?

-

hemi71x

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got this master cylinder in a "lot" purchase of some parts, earlier during the year.
But haven't been able to find out the proper application for it.
GOOGLE, or Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, sites haven't been of any help to me.
Anyone know what casting number, or part number, 29861 may be for?
I'm suspecting it's a manual brake, front drum, rear drum, master cylinder, but not sure, and it's original application.
Anyone know?
Thank's a lot.
hemi71x

Master Cylinder 001 (Small).JPG

Master Cylinder 002 (Small).JPG

That is actually a 70-up manual drum or disc brake master, that is what Cardone says if you go to any parts store to buy a new master for your Mopar. It is definitely a 71-76 for manual drums.

Got this master cylinder in a "lot" purchase of some parts, earlier during the year.
But haven't been able to find out the proper application for it.
GOOGLE, or Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos, sites haven't been of any help to me.
Anyone know what casting number, or part number, 29861 may be for?
I'm suspecting it's a manual brake, front drum, rear drum, master cylinder, but not sure, and it's original application.
Anyone know?
Thank's a lot.
hemi71x

View attachment 1715254427

View attachment 1715254428

A picture of the piston would help, is the hole deep or shallow, what diam, are the reservoirs the same size?

A picture of the piston would help, is the hole deep or shallow, what diam, are the reservoirs the same size?

A picture of the piston???
What do you mean by that"?
I don't have any need, or desire, to disassemble the darn thing for ID purposes.
You can tell by the cap on the master cylinder that the reservoirs are the same size.

This master cyl has the same size looking cap, but it has different size reservoirs

master.jpg

For crying out loud guys, I'm not asking to identify a part on the frekin space station, or the Martian Rover, just wanting to know if anyone can ID the damm thing by the casting number, or part number, in the pictures that i posted.
Not wanting to make a mountain out of a mole hill.
I'll put it up for sale as a manual brake, drum, drum, master cylinder of unknown manufacturer.

You should know that a 5 digit # is not a part #, a casting # can have multiple bore diameters, they don't use one casting per bore diameter, a manual master cyl has a deep hole for the push rod a power master has a shallow divot in the piston. You are the one making this I.D. impossible.
Throw it in the trash, it's useless!

You should know that a 5 digit # is not a part #, a casting # can have multiple bore diameters, they don't use one casting per bore diameter, a manual master cyl has a deep hole for the push rod a power master has a shallow divot in the piston. You are the one making this I.D. impossible.
Throw it in the trash, it's useless!
Tell me why i would throw a perfectly good master cylinder in the trash bin?
It has value to somebody that may want to purchase it from me, when i advertise it for sale.
Might sell, might not, but it won't substantially increase my bank account, or piggy bank funds.
And why wouldn't i know, or not know, that number cast into the body is or isn't a part number?
If you haven't got anything more constructive to say in my inquiry, stay out of it.

Boy, didn't know when i thought i was asking a simple question in regards to identifying a master cylinder, i was going to get into an internet pissing contest over it.
Figured someone out there in Mopar land would recognize the number from something that they have.
But every so often i seem to get into a pissing match with somebody on the other end of the internet.
Just a damp dark, rainy night around here, that i couldn't do my evening mile walk around my neighborhood.

To I.D. a master cyl you have to know the bore size! One thing for some reason you refuse to tell, I have old Wagner catalogs that have applications and bore sizes per vehicle, that is the only way to I.D. them. Sorry if you can't understand that! You were the one that ask for help I was just trying to help but I can't with out the correct info. It is very simple you are the one making it hard.

I guess what I said above doesn't count? I have used this master for a few projects where the person didn't care if it was correct looking as long as it worked. Check my response above...

To I.D. a master cyl you have to know the bore size! One thing for some reason you refuse to tell, I have old Wagner catalogs that have applications and bore sizes per vehicle, that is the only way to I.D. them. Sorry if you can't understand that! You were the one that ask for help I was just trying to help but I can't with out the correct info. It is very simple you are the one making it hard.
As i earlier wrote, i don't have any intentions in taking it apart to measure a bore diameter.
But i figure it has to be 1 inch, or a fraction, one way or another.
Good enough for me, to advertise it for sale to fit a Mopar for manual brakes, front drum, rear drum, application.
HemiSSDart has experience with this numbered master cylinder, so i will go with his reply.

Last edited:
As i earlier wrote, i don't have any intentions in taking it apart to measure a bore diameter.
Good enough for me, to advertise it for sale to fit a Mopar for manual brakes, front drum, rear drum, application.
HemiSSDart has experience with this numbered master cylinder, so i will go with his reply.

O.K. I get it, your not smart enough to look at the back and put a ruler across the hole and see if it is 1", 1 1/8" to find what you ask for, you ask for the application for this master cylinder. And you dog me for going out of my way to try to help you, what a A$$. I'm done.

O.K. I get it, your not smart enough to look at the back and put a ruler across the hole and see if it is 1", 1 1/8" to find what you ask for, you ask for the application for this master cylinder. And you dog me for going out of my way to try to help you, what a A$$. I'm done.

Good, go away, stay away.
Don't need your input.
I should have kept my fingers off the keyboard from the get go, and just advertised it in the for sale section.

For $33 I'm going down to O'Reilly and getting a new one and know for sure it is what I want.
Unless it is cheap, why take a chance on an unknown part.

Alan

Good, go away, stay away.
Don't need your input.
I should have kept my fingers off the keyboard from the get go, and just advertised it in the for sale section.
I hope in the future people remember what a pain you are to deal with.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE GD MASTER CYLINDER APART!!! Pick the fking thing up, put a ruler across the end of the piston that you can see, determine what that is, come back HERE and then say, "that measurement is XXXX inch". Who do we look like...Kreskin, or Carnac the Magnificent? You've spent twice or three times as much time griping and getting huffy as you would have ever spent measuring the thing. Je**s G*d...too bad somebody couldn't drive to your house and do it for you. For you and other people....MAKE YOUR QUESTIONS USABLE AND YOU WILL GET USABLE answers.

TylerW. Thank's a lot for your thoughts and comments, there my boy.
I thought of doing the back of the master cylinder measurement, but then without taking it apart, still wouldn't know if it's 15/16 inch, 1 inch, 1 1/16 inch, or something else, so that's why i didn't bother.
Can't tell with just a ruler, as my eyes just ain't that good anymore.
Good enough for you?
And besides your "comment" isn't justifiable in the thread.
I'm guilty of that myself.
I shouldn't have made one either.
Got ticked off at the guy for the wrong reason, telling me to throw it away, and i didn't care for that comment.
My bad.

Last edited:
TylerW. Thank's a lot for your thoughts and comments, there my boy.
I thought of doing the back of the master cylinder measurement, but then without taking it apart, still wouldn't know if it's 15/16 inch, 1 inch, 1 1/16 inch, or something else, so that's why i didn't bother.
Can't tell with just a ruler, as my eyes just ain't that good anymore.
Good enough for you?
And besides your "comment" isn't justifiable in the thread.
I'm guilty of that myself.
I shouldn't have made one either.
Got ticked off at the guy for the wrong reason, telling me to throw it away, and i didn't care for that comment.
My bad.
That's all you had to say... that you can't see it. There's nothing wrong with that, I can't see good either up close, but you can say THAT instead of jumping on people that are simply asking you for more info.

But every so often i seem to get into a pissing match with somebody on the other end of the internet.

it takes two to have that match, think about that.
PS, I used to fly in the back seat of F4-Ns out of el toro.

-
Back