Max Lobe Ramp For Solid Flat

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
is there a way to figure out what the ramp of a cam is and what the failure point if with a solid flat lifter? im trying to figure out how much lift i can get out of the lowest amount of duration but dont know how to get the info i need.

extra info im looking for 230-246 @ .050 with as close to .410 lobe (over under .010) and i can go to a 1" lifter

/6 ?. There is a tool,that actually runs the valve events,in theory ,Ed. Spins up,gives you the results.Can't remember the name (spintron?).

/6 ?. There is a tool,that actually runs the valve events,in theory ,Ed. Spins up,gives you the results.Can't remember the name (spintron?).

ok dick! LOL... im looking for a little lo-tech and not so far down the line. i want to figure out the cam and just tell them to grind this, but dont want to eat a cam either. so im trying to figure out whats a way to run the numbers on paper...

yes i know what a spintron is and does... im looking for what the max ramp is before the lifter is eaten on a solid flat cam...

Call up the cam grinder that your going to use to make the cam. They should be able to give you that information.

Or Hughes Engines, they say they have the fastest ramps for Mopar cams.

Check out Schieder,Ed.No one new grind wise,has a clue. How about Clay Smith ?.One person,awsners the phone. He knows, his stuff.

Call up the cam grinder that your going to use to make the cam. They should be able to give you that information.

Or Hughes Engines, they say they have the fastest ramps for Mopar cams.

below is the issue...

Check out Schieder,Ed.No one new grind wise,has a clue. How about Clay Smith ?.One person,awsners the phone. He knows, his stuff.

yea i'll have to ring them and see what they say...

It depends on what the grinder considers "max safe" and it's not just the ramp that determines it. The lifter size, the amount of taper on the lobe and the lifter crowning, the angles of the lifter bores vs the camshaft, the required spring pressures... All makes it "good" or "too fast". For my slant project I plan to use Comp - they have the blanks and they have some very fast profiles (like 10% faster and 25% more lift by TDC than the XE line). But I will not be calling the tech line for it. They're clueless unless you have a standard type question.
Another thought would be to contact Harold Brookshire through Speedtalk or talk to Bullet Cams. In terms of fast rate lobes I'd put him at the top of the heap and I'm fairly sure he helped Comp with thier stuff.

It depends on what the grinder considers "max safe" and it's not just the ramp that determines it. The lifter size, the amount of taper on the lobe and the lifter crowning, the angles of the lifter bores vs the camshaft, the required spring pressures... All makes it "good" or "too fast". For my slant project I plan to use Comp - they have the blanks and they have some very fast profiles (like 10% faster and 25% more lift by TDC than the XE line). But I will not be calling the tech line for it. They're clueless unless you have a standard type question.
Another thought would be to contact Harold Brookshire through Speedtalk or talk to Bullet Cams. In terms of fast rate lobes I'd put him at the top of the heap and I'm fairly sure he helped Comp with thier stuff.

i wouldn't use comp unless you like eating oil pump gears... but thanks for the info

Seeing as how there are already cams available for the .903 diameter lifter like that, I don't understand what the worry is.

I know about the lapping of the drive gear. I don't consider that an issue. Finding cam blanks be them compelte or not...lol... seems to be.

I just got off the phone with Howards. They can grind the specs to part number 711791-08 but as a SOLID on one of their slant blanks for 159 bucks. I think they will do my next one.

710831-08 NA 289 289 242 242 .562 .562 108 104

Using that howards hydraulic cam in 71 360 Duster..

Look at part number 711791-08.

http://www.howardscams.com/chrysler/chrysler-v8-273-360-1965-1995-318-1967-1995

236 and 240 @ .050 with .558 lift. That's .372 lobe lift. Since the slant has .903 diameter lifters like all the rest, they can make a slant cam the same way.

Howards also offers slant cams. They have blanks.

i got .520 lift, you still figuring on rockers that i dont have lol? im trying to stay with stock rockers and get a good lift in the duration i want. and also it needs to be .550 valve lift so you need a .410 lobe. and thats a cam thats not made, yet...

Can you never be pleased? First you bitched and moaned about .320 lobe lift now you change your mind. Mark runs 10s with his car and he doesn't have 1" lifters. You ever thought of that?

Can you never be pleased? First you bitched and moaned about .320 lobe lift now you change your mind. Mark runs 10s with his car and he doesn't have 1" lifters. You ever thought of that?

lol but he has 262 @ .050 and 1.6 rockers. so he can get the lift easy with that much duration and 1.6's. im trying to keep duration low and lift high. 1" lifters is just one means of getting there, if Turbotoad and bill get there modded rockers done and tested ill make my own. till then i have stock rockers

If bullfrogs had wings they wouldn't bump their *** either. Lemmie ask you.....have you ever CHECKED actual lift at the valve with slant rockers? Charlie has and he says all of them he's checked were right on 1.5. So, I just wonder if the slant rocker thing is just a repeated rumor. Besides, if you can't run some low 13s or high 12s with 500 plus lift, somethin's wrong.

I have a .633 lift solid lifter cam on the shelf that I just pulled outta my 440. I will grab the cardd and see what it says..

ok heres some technical stuff for ya.. I'll give ya the specs on this whole cam. I love it and will use it again..

Its a Crower specd with 1.5 rockers
Adv duration 346* .633 lift
lobe seperation 105*
Duration @ .050 298*
Lobe lift .422
Install at 101*

Not sure if this helps you or not but its about as nasty of a solid lifter cam as I have seen. Idles like no others I have heard before. kinda has a growl growl growl instead of the lumpity lumpity lumpity. HAHA

The problem I see is the spring pressures with the factory rockers... I haven't really thought that part through yet but I would not go with any higher ratio than 1.5 for that reason. I may just end up reinforcing them and having them cryo treated. It's too early at this point to worry about it.

-
Back