Max tire size on a stock rallye wheel / setup ideas

-

Kikowillers

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anybody tell me the max width tire that can be safely used on a stock 14" rallye wheel (5.5" wide if I'm not mistaken)?

This is for my totally stock 1970 Dart. I'm looking at either of these setups:

225-65/14 rear
215-65/14 front

Or

225-70/14 rear
215-70/14 front

Or

215-65/14 all around.

Is there much difference between the 65 and 70 profiles? Some pics and opinions would be very welcome!

Cheers!

IMHO your not really going to notice that the rear are wider than the front if you only go wider one size. The stock rally wheels stink, you cant put much tire on them. But, i think your sizes listed would work pretty good on there. I think the 70 series will fill up the wheel well best height wise.

215/225=tire width in mm, 60/70=percentage of tire width in the side wall, 14/15=wheel size, and R=radial.

So yes assume the same tire width, the 70 will be taller then the 60.

The problem is that here in Australia the tires can only be different by one size for the car to be legal, so these are probably the best setups I can have.

I think I'll go with the 65 profile just because it's a lot cheaper than the 70. There won't be much difference in height with only 5% between the two sizes.

Thanks for the info guys!

Cheers.

70 series has a much wider/taller sidewall....not alot of selections for any width...I prefer the 60 series and the selections You have in mind will all work with that 5.5 wheel

IMHO your not really going to notice that the rear are wider than the front if you only go wider one size. The stock rally wheels stink, you cant put much tire on them. But, i think your sizes listed would work pretty good on there. I think the 70 series will fill up the wheel well best height wise.

My dad has 275-60-15s on a factory 15x5.5 rallye for over 20 years no probs

I am running 235-60-14's all the way around on my stock rallyes.
No problem on my 71 Demon.

Attachments

• Trailer pickup Port Hope 2012 049.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 313
  • end of season 006.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 301
  • end of season 010.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 308
215-70-14 front and 225-70-14 rear is what I had on my Dart

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info, the help has been much appreciated.

I had a couple of days with no Internet and when I came back there were some ten replies and lots of pics. Finally a forum where the members actually want to help!

I'm looking at A$600 for a set of 225 & 215-65/14r and nearly A$900 for the same sizes and width on 70 profile. It's quite a difference hey?!

I think I'll go for the cheaper version for now, there a lot more to be done on the Dart and the money is running low.

Cheers!

No problems other than decreased tire life, decreased handling and increased chance of failure.

It a 68 charger with the rear end up in the air(no handling like that) Tire life had nothin to do with replacing the after 15 years other than getting alittle hard and checked. It doesnt effect the handling much cause it cant handle anyway.

Attachments

• Our 440 Auto 1968 Charger RT.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 290
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info, the help has been much appreciated.

I had a couple of days with no Internet and when I came back there were some ten replies and lots of pics. Finally a forum where the members actually want to help!

I'm looking at A$600 for a set of 225 & 215-65/14r and nearly A$900 for the same sizes and width on 70 profile. It's quite a difference hey?!

I think I'll go for the cheaper version for now, there a lot more to be done on the Dart and the money is running low.

Cheers!
What brand? You cool do BFG Radial T/As they are kinda cheap would only be around 400-450.
You could do a 60 series on the front and a 70 series on the rear.
235-70-15 on the rear and 215-60-15 on the front

It a 68 charger with the rear end up in the air(no handling like that) Tire life had nothin to do with replacing the after 15 years other than getting alittle hard and checked. It doesnt effect the handling much cause it cant handle anyway.

Those are probably 15X7s.

-
Back