Maximum rpm for SB

-
I once had a bone stock /6 that ran up to 12,000 rpm's. Of course that was when I accidentally shifted it into second, going down a mountain at 120 mph. Sadly it never would rev that high ever again.

Guitar Jones said:
I once had a bone stock /6 that ran up to 12,000 rpm's. Of course that was when I accidentally shifted it into second, going down a mountain at 120 mph. Sadly it never would rev that high ever again.

LOL, Admit it.. you just wanted to see it spin that high !

To lighten your A Body, remove the old carpet and insulation from under the carpet. Insulation weights about 50 pounds. Aftermarket carpet is lighter than factory. Power steering can be replaced fairly easily with a manual aluminum box. That does require some new steering components. Since A Bodies are fairly light to begin with, the steering will still be OK. Saving the weight of the pump and super heavy cast iron steering box is more than a fiberglass front bumper.
Since you obtained a 4 speed manual, go with the 4 speed cam Dodge used in the 340. It is a step and a half larger than the stock 360 cam. Cast cranks may be good for 6000+ RPM, but we set our shift light at 5200 - 5400 on our 318 in a Dart Swinger. This way we are still making good power and won't have to rebuild the engine for a decade of street and strip. Have a qualified shop set the spring height for your cam when they do a valve job. Show the shop the cam specs. That way you will avoid valve float. Headers and an aluminum intake will save you another 50 pounds. If you are taking the car to the track, move the battery to the trunk. Do that when you have the carpet out. If you have a bench front seat, replace that with a couple bucket seats. That will save you another 20 pounds.

With oiling mods, my 360 has been pulling 7200 since year 2000. It's a streeter so it doesn't pull that for long or very hard cuz in 6 to 7 seconds from a stop, she is topped out in second gear at 85 mph.
Stock 1971 crank and rods, KB107 pistons, with a Hughes 230 cam , their HD anti-pump-ups, and IIRC their #1129 springs on OOTB Eddies. It's been higher without blowing up, but 7200 is already waaaaaaaaaaay past the power peak. I just like how she screams thru full-length 3 inch duals.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If this is to be for a streeter;instead of asking how high you can rev it, you might consider the rest of the combo. If you cam that baby to peak power at 7000 for instance, she will be a lazy dog below ~3500/27 mph, so you'll need a hi-stall TC. She'll begin to wake up at 5000/39mph, find the power at 6000/46mph, hit the peak at 7000/54 mph, shift at 7400/57mph. But you can't hit 60 in first gear with those 4.10s (well you could at 7900)... so you gotta shift, and then the Rs ,with a regular TorqueFlite, will fall to 4400... and she's way off the cam.
The thing is, a 360 will be spinning the whole way with the engine bouncing off the rev-limiter.
So, if this is what you want, gitRdone! I did it with 4.30s, just to experience it!
But, IMO, with a 360, there are better ways to skin this cat.

Last edited:
Bought a brand new 70 Duster 340, 4 spd. Fresh from the deal, ran thru gears, shift at 6000 rpm. Drove it like that for 4 years before having to trade it cause couldn't get hi octane gas. Hated to let it go.

-
Back