May Need SoCal Member's Help! Roadtrip...

-

MuuMuu101

Reaction score
So I'm planning for a random road trip in a month. I was thinking of driving up to San Francisco using PCH followed by a couple days in Yosemite then coming down back through all the scenic routes. I'd most likely do this on my own and it will be my first major road trip. The plan for now is to go in my 2011 Scion tC; however, I'd really like to take my Dart.

That's where I need help. If it can be done, I'd need help making my Dart reliable enough to handle a trip. Right now the firewall needs to be patched, MC installed, and new brake lines bent and installed. That will get the car stopping. For a trip like this, I'd definitely need a suspension rebuild. I'd also not trust my 7 1/4 so my 8 3/4 in the garage should be installed imo. Then I might as well get new wheels and tires. All topped with new fluids. My question is, would anyone be able to help me work and get my car reliable and running as I don't have many skills and tools? I'm willing to learn and taking a road trip in an old car has always been on my bucket list. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Did I post this in the wrong section? No advice for the road trip???

No disrespect,but I would get "All" the bugs worked out before i took a trip like that in that car. And even then,I still probably wouldn't take it.
For a more enjoyable trip,take the TC.

No disrespect,but I would get "All" the bugs worked out before i took a trip like that in that car. And even then,I still probably wouldn't take it.

i would take the dart BUT...... before i did i would get some killer car insurence that has an unlimited towing package. lol. like they have said. i wouldnt take a car that hasn't been proven reliable on that long of a trip. I get nervous when i venture out over 25 miles in mine. lol

The tC is a car that is far from enjoyable. I take it to work every day and its boring. Honestly, I've been toying with the idea of trading it in to get a Chrysler product. The whole point (or "dream") behind the trip was to take a drive in a "memorable" car so to say. I'm thinking about possibly renting a car for the trip. Looking for a new Charger or Challenger R/T maybe. Although, a Viper would be nice. :finga:

I do agree, and I wouldn't take this trip unless I felt safe with it. However, before it had its hiccups, last summer I did take it on two drives 50-100 miles each. And that was with no brakes or steering. :D

The tC is a car that is far from enjoyable. I take it to work every day and its boring. Honestly, I've been toying with the idea of trading it in to get a Chrysler product. The whole point (or "dream") behind the trip was to take a drive in a "memorable" car so to say. I'm thinking about possibly renting a car for the trip. Looking for a new Charger or Challenger R/T maybe. Although, a Viper would be nice. :finga:

I do agree, and I wouldn't take this trip unless I felt safe with it. However, before it had its hiccups, last summer I did take it on two drives 50-100 miles each. And that was with no brakes or steering. :D

Take your Dart then....One way or another,I'm sure it will be memorable.

The route you are planning can be a killer. Roads are narrow and winding and there's a lot of "dead" space with no appreciable habitation (I've gone that way several times). A break down will be no fun at all. I have to second what Johnny Dart said and suggest you work the bugs out first. If you don't want to wait, I would strongly suggest you drive with a buddy so you can go get help if you do break down. Good luck!

I kind of lost you on the "road trip" need. Sounds like you need to do a lot of work before you can even drive the Dart down the driveway. I read this kind of like the concept many people have of a happy past when all the neighbors pitched in to build a barn. That was never true in history, only in Hollywood movies. In real life people expect to be paid and/or work to help their direct family. The historical record that does exist is recollections seen thru the eyes of little girls who didn't know the accounting. Barns were raised in a day with lots of hands because that is how you did post & beam construction. The farmer spent years before carving the timbers and racking up IOU's.

Hey MM101 -
Did you get the PM I sent you last week (or thought I sent)?
If not, I will resend.

It doesn't look like the Dart is going to go. It's hard enough to find a friend to help me weld the firewall. Everyone's busy. We'll see where I go from here. I would rather not do it in my Scion. I spend every waking day with it in traffic. For me, the car is just as important as the drive and the destination. Honestly, the only reason why I'm planning this trip so last minute is my therapist recommended I do something I've always wanted to do that's a little out of my comfort zone. I originally wanted to take this trip in an old/unique car and with a friend or significant other, but as the Dart is down, my friends are busy, and I haven't had a SO in over 2 years, the trip has never really been thought of till now. Just wish I had the Dart running. :banghead:

Man I feel like a broken record...

-
Back