Maybe a new carb?

-

mopower440

Reaction score
Been fooling with thermoquads and quadrajets for the last 25 years. always ran thermoquads on my 440 dart. The current one i built with instructions from a guy named Demonsizzler who was the thermoquad guru from moparts. I built it years ago and he told me what to do to make it right on my cammed 440. Well, the primary shaft makes a horribly annoying whistling sound because the shaft bore has some wear in it, other than that, it down right screams on my 440! Been thinking of finally just buying a new carb for it, but like i said, ive only ever messed with thermoquads and quadrajets and a little bit with edelbrocks. I know nothing about a holley, never messed with one. Wondering what else is out there besides holley thats closer to a thermoquad that will indeed perform well?

Have the throttle shafts rebushed, and keep enjoying the TQ!
WOODRUFFCARBURETOR.jpg

He's a member with a very good rep.

Beat me to it by a minute! I’d hate to push a good TQ aside for a small issue like that.

Beat me to it by a minute! I’d hate to push a good TQ aside for a small issue like that.
thought about that. anyone on here do the rebushing and if so, whats the price? I have several other old carbs but they are not the same number so im sure they are not the same..or will the baseplates interchange as long as the primary sides are the same size?

There are a few subtle differences in baseplates. I have’nt had a need to try interchanging, but you could try it. I would rebush it for $40.

There are a few subtle differences in baseplates. I have’nt had a need to try interchanging, but you could try it. I would rebush it for $40.
oh you can rebush it? Have you had good luck with doing them? Its annoying as heck whistling

Sometimes at very small throttle openings the whistle comes from the nearly closed throttle blades.However, on a cammed 440, I would think that would not be your problem. Then again, at idle, there should not be enough vacuum at the throttle shaft for it to whistle, either. Just maybe, your throttle shaft is worn out.
Just thinking out loud.....

Member Dana IS Woodruff Carburetor Specialties.
Ah ok ha! didnt realize that! Will probably send that baseplate to you for sure then. Its definately the shaft, i can move it front to back and make it quit. Whats the turn around time usually?

I can sneak that in somewhere in a couple days.
sounds good, i wont get it off the car till next weekend but will message you on here when ready to send the plate to you. can you tell me what i can use to bond the jet well back on the center section? I had both come off on another one of mine i am rebuilding. Ive never had to re-attach one before until now..There is not much of a lip to put much adhesive so it must have to be pretty strong. What can i buy at the local parts house that will hold it well and not be affected by gas?

Sounds good. I have had success with Permatex Cold weld and Marine-Tex.

I have had the occasional TQ 'whistle' at small throttle openings. These were carbs that had no shaft wear, so I do not believe it comes from the air leakage at the shaft. Only had it happen on modified engines that needed more idle air. I think, but have no proof, that the noise is a combination of the particular air speed, air volume & throttle opening that coincide to produce the whistle...like blowing across the top of a Coke bottle.

I'm not saying it's not possible, but 99 times out of 100 when you get whistling, the problem is at the base plate to manifold joint, between the carburetor and gasket or between the manifold and gasket. You might get a squirt bottle of water out and specifically spray only the base plate joint being very careful to avoid the throttle shafts and see what you find.

I have had the occasional TQ 'whistle' at small throttle openings. These were carbs that had no shaft wear, so I do not believe it comes from the air leakage at the shaft. Only had it happen on modified engines that needed more idle air. I think, but have no proof, that the noise is a combination of the particular air speed, air volume & throttle opening that coincide to produce the whistle...like blowing across the top of a Coke bottle.
I can pull back on the linkage and make it stop and it will idle all day long without doing it until the throttle cable pulls the linkage forward again and it starts whistling. There is slop in the shaft allowing a good bit of movement

-
Back