MAZDA CONTENT: I need help, and you guys are the best!

-

Judge Mills

1971 Plymouth Duster
Reaction score
Wife's 2003 Mazda protege5 (i don't wanna hear it!) has had problems ever since we owned it..

long story short, I was taking out the alternator for the third time today, and forgot to disconnect the battery...:cheers: the power wire coming from the alternator arced on the chassis... I immediately disconnected the battery..

jsut got everything put back together, now there is no juice.... no dome light, no starting, no nothing...

battery is good, as it just came off the charger!

so, what did i do this time? fry the computer? take out a fusible link? what now?

There should be a fuse box under the hood (black box) with both fuses and relays in it. Check the fuses with an ohm meter, don't trust to look at them and say they are good or not.

Terry

so.. do you think there could be a main relay? i GUESS i could get the owners manual out :D

The owners manual will have a schematic that shows the box and says what each relay and fuse does, also there will be a fuse box inside the car, behind an access panel. Check those fuses also. There should also be spare fuses in the box under the hood and inside the car.

Terry

I did the same thing to an old Toyota a few years back. It turns out I blew out the fusible link so I had to replace it. On your car there is either a fusible link or a large amperage fuse. Chances are - you will find it open. Replace it with and exact replacement.

Most fusible links are replaced by maxifuses today. They can be checked with a test light.

Check this out guys:

The MAIN fuse is BUILT into the fuse box under the hood. Meaning, if you blow the MAIN fuse, you have to replace the box....... There's a warning in the owners' manual: consult dealer before changing main fuse.... Yeah, consult them for an estimate! I'm guessing a couple hundred bucks....

but, I do have an idea....

It's a 100 amp fuse that blew.. I plan on getting a 100 amp fuse and soldering them or connecting them to the terminals that house the permanent fuse.....basically, replacing the fuse with a replaceable fuse....

-
Back