me again ;) First night out in the Car.

-

Khyron

Token "B" Body
Reaction score
Welp, spent most of the time with the vacuum gadge and tuning when I got back from work, Timeing is dead on.... but there is one pesky thing. and I think I know the answer, but I wanted a second opinion.

The car starts great. runs great, idles great. Vacuum is around 15, Breaks now work ;) but when I gun it. or the car is under load. I'm getting an annoying rattle.... not lower mind you. it's not like a bearing or rod knock <god I hope it isn't> ... when I gradually push her up to speed it's fine...

Is it possable I got some crap gas? I put 87 octain in it like a moron, thats what I had in the motor before the rebuild. So i'm thinking I need a higher octain... 93 <super> perhaps? anyone else have this problem?

The car is maybe 9.5:1 10:1 compresion. Is it time for super unleaded?

Ya give it some good stuff to clean out the old.
My 10.5 - 1 440 hated the cheap gas under load. Sounded like a can full of marbles.

Thats what I thought, I'll pick up the octane booster tommorow and burn this crap gas out of her... anyone recommend a good brand? what about STP?

I don't think any of those things are much worth a crap. Try a gallon of race gas, some 110 or 112 should do it justice.

I usually go $20.00 Cam - 2, and fill the rest with Sunoco Ultra. I have not had any problems.

Untitled 2.jpg

If you have iron heads and that comp. ratio you need to run good gas, no way around it. I agree with guitar jones, think octane booster is a waste of money. A little race gas mixed with super will be fine plus give you a little lead to help out those exhaust valves.

O.k. guys, Thanks a million, I'll have to find who sells some race fuel arounf here and grab a gallon.

I'll have to burn this crap out ;)

Just add a gallon of race gas to the tank you already have. A little tetraethyl lead in a tank of unleaded goes a long way.

follow up question from this evenings cruise...

anyone have a picture of the kickdown linkage to a Holly? I have a street avenger and I can't get the setup right...

do you have the adapter throttle bracket for a holley on the carb? the kick down should basically bolt to that as it did when stock setup. i dont have a holley with an auto, so i have no pics. it'd be next weekend when i finish tuning a 440 i did in a friends car before i could get pics. let me know

--chad

Guitar Jones said:
I don't think any of those things are much worth a crap. Try a gallon of race gas, some 110 or 112 should do it justice.
There is one out there that is actually tel. I'll have to go find it again.

turbodart said:
do you have the adapter throttle bracket for a holley on the carb? the kick down should basically bolt to that as it did when stock setup. i dont have a holley with an auto, so i have no pics. it'd be next weekend when i finish tuning a 440 i did in a friends car before i could get pics. let me know

--chad

when I bought the car it had a standard holly 650 on it, and the kickdown wasn't hooked up. so i have no referance. I say the linkage online and made one. just having trouble setting it up right. It's kicking to late or to early... sometimes it just stays in second... guess it will be just trial and error time ;)

Drove around for about 2 hours last night downtown Saratoga.... Burned allot of gas, just filled it with some 93. I'll just have to wait to see it the rattle goes now.

BTW: nothing like getting a bunch of thumbsup, but when a hot drunk chick flashed the boobies at ya, you take a new pride in your car :D :D :D

-
Back