Measuring driveshaft

-

72dustyer

All go, no show
Reaction score
how would I measure the driveshaft length? I know that I put the yoke in then oull it out 1", then go center to center of the bearings. The front of the car is up, but the weight is on the rear. Do I need to set it flat to get this measurement?

The car neds the motor and tranny in place and all the weight that would be in their location in place.This means that if you have the motor and tranny in,you can use sand bags or water containers to simulate the weight needed to do the measurements for the car.Same goes for the rear,put some thing in the rear to make the weight within reason.From their you can check how the diffy angle sits and measure it and check the tranny angles as well.Then you can measure the length needed for the driveshaft after pulling out the yoke a 1"-1.25,Mrmoaprtech

Mrmopartech said:
The car neds the motor and tranny in place and all the weight that would be in their location in place.This means that if you have the motor and tranny in,you can use sand bags or water containers to simulate the weight needed to do the measurements for the car.Same goes for the rear,put some thing in the rear to make the weight within reason.From their you can check how the diffy angle sits and measure it and check the tranny angles as well.Then you can measure the length needed for the driveshaft after pulling out the yoke a 1"-1.25,Mrmoaprtech

Just an add on if ya don't mind Mrmopartech, your 100% correct however it's a good idea (as I found out) after everything is setup as you have stated, to then ask the shop doing your shaft work, where "they" want you to take your measurements points from. That way there's less communication and shaft length problems.

72dustyer said:
how would I measure the driveshaft length? I know that I put the yoke in then oull it out 1", then go center to center of the bearings. The front of the car is up, but the weight is on the rear. Do I need to set it flat to get this measurement?
Hey, i just found a neat web site with driveshaft measuring diagrams. go to www.dennysdriveshaft.com

-
Back