Meat Loaf Recipe

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I have 3 lbs. 80/20 ground beef, two packs of Mccormicks seasoning. Eggs, oatmeal... No ONIONS ;( so diced dried onion will have to do..
Was thinking about putting bacon on top to seal in moisture and to add bacon to something I like.
What does everyone throw into their meat loaf?

We add Bread Crumbs for some strange reason. Then Onion soup Mix, Ketchup, an Egg or 2. Any chopped veggies will add a nice touch, Peppers, Onions, Shrooms etc....

French Onion soup mix is a big help, line the bottom of the pan with bacon too if you have enough, its like having a yummy bacon wrapped meat loafy chunk of deliciousness. Even better the next day as a sandwich.

Try adding cornbread stove top stuffing mix instead of bread crumbs and onion soup mix.
Bbq sauce on top.
I like your idea of the bacon.

You can top it with bbq sauce or ketchup to seal in the moisture, the bacon idea sounds good too...bacon=meat candy, good luck

My bread crumbs are 7 crushed saltine crackers. i use only 1/2 package of McCormics seasoning in 1.5 lbs ground round ( extra lean beef ). Its good but a whole package is too much, gives me indigestion. 1 egg, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 table spoon Texas Pete, a fist full of chopped onion, and sometimes a fist full of chopped green bell pepper too.

Bread crumbs, or cracker crumbs (haven't tried the stuffing, but that sounds pretty good too) just don't let anyone talk you into using oatmeal. Mother always put ketchup, and bacon on top, and her meat loaf was fantastic. I always add an egg and a dash or two of worchestshire sauce, along with chopped onions, and celery. You need at least 3 lbs of meat, to use a pkg of onion soup mix. Sometimes I throw in part of a can of diced tomatoes with green chili's, and put the rest on top. Making me hungry. Guess I need to make one this week.

French Onion soup mix is a big help, line the bottom of the pan with bacon too if you have enough, its like having a yummy bacon wrapped meat loafy chunk of deliciousness. Even better the next day as a sandwich.

Now that's what I'm talkin 'bout !!!! Sammiches is good !!!!:cheers:

I come from a broken home, where my family never sat down and ate dinner together so I need to come up with some great recipes.
My new recipe that I combined from everybody is:
350 for 3 hrs
French onion soup packet
Stove top stuffing mix
80/20 ground beef
x2 eggs
1/3 cup BBQ sauce inside
optional veggies.
bacon lined pan and on top.
Then add heated bbq sauce to your liking when done.

I was limited this time around.

instead of bread crumbs try ground up fritos soaked in milk add rooms to mixture and chunked up cheddar cheese.

Good for you, making a more enjoyable life for yourself than what you had growing up.

You won't regret getting a good chef's knife and cutting board if you don't already have one.

By the way, meatloaf only takes an hour at 350 deg, 1 1/2 hrs at most...3 hrs is way too long. A glaze over the meatloaf really takes it to the next level and it's easy to do. Here's the way I was taught to make meatloaf, a long time ago.

First, in a saucepan, bring to a simmer 1 cup ketchup, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Set aside.

Combine the following: 2 lbs ground beef, 1 small onion minced, 2 cloves garlic finely minced, 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley, 1 cup whole milk, 16 finely crushed saltine or Ritz crackers, 2 beaten eggs, 1 tbsp each of worchestershire, hot sauce, and brown mustard; and 2 teaspoons each salt and pepper. Use your fingers till everything is combined but don't over-mix. Gather the meat into a loaf shape and place it on a foil lined cookie sheet. Make a lengthwise shallow ditch on top of the meatloaf and fill it with about 1/3 of the glaze, and coat the sides of the loaf with the glaze. Bake at 350 deg for an hour, adding some more glaze during the final 10 minutes. After you take it out of the oven, wait 10 minutes before serving; less of the juices will run out. Serve with the remaining glaze on the side as a sauce.

Using the cookie sheet method instead of a loaf pan, you get a nice crust all the way around and it keeps the grease away from the loaf.

Using the cookie sheet method instead of a loaf pan, you get a nice crust all the way around and it keeps the grease away from the loaf.

I don't use a loaf pan either as I prefer to cook it in a cast iron skillet in the oven. Cooking in a cast iron skillet makes everything taste better.

-
Back