Meat smoking

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Tamale time is here again. Normally Ernie cooks the meat in a crock pot. She wants me to smoke it on the Big Green Egg this year. I believe she normally uses a roast of some sort.
Brine or no brine? If yes, what would you suggest? What about wood chunks? I use real wood chunks in the Egg. NoNE of those briquettes....and never any sort of petroleum products to light it. Have been using Royal Oak Chunks. Have a bag of Hickory, and may still have some Mesquite. Any suggestions?

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck...

Oh, wait, you said wood chunks...

Nevermind....

I say brine and Hickory....

Some of the best meat smokers in the country are here. I get all my info here so check them out if you please.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com

And I prefer apple unless I'm looking for a real nice smoky flavor then maybe hickory but mesquite is my wood of choice when I don't use apple.

Some of the best meat smokers in the country are here. I get all my info here so check them out if you please.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com

And I prefer apple unless I'm looking for a real nice smoky flavor then maybe hickory but mesquite is my wood of choice when I don't use apple.
Thanks for the link. When I am on my laptop later I will be joining the forum.

I've used a simple cup of salt and cup of sugar in a gallon of water for fried turkey, roasts, and grilled pork tenderloin. Works great. Haven't tried smoking anything with it, but might be nice.

I usually only smoke salmon but have done a few other cuts of meat, although I've never brined anything but salmon. In my experience Mesquite can overpower meat. I totally agree on no briquettes, don't want your tamales tasting like charcoal starter! Also I tend to use milder ingredients and let the meat flavor come through (like using Alder with Apple finish for salmon).
I'd be interested in your recipe for the tamales.

I usually only smoke salmon but have done a few other cuts of meat, although I've never brined anything but salmon. In my experience Mesquite can overpower meat. I totally agree on no briquettes, don't want your tamales tasting like charcoal starter! Also I tend to use milder ingredients and let the meat flavor come through (like using Alder with Apple finish for salmon).
I'd be interested in your recipe for the tamales.

Will have the Boss take care of it....may take a few days but I will have her do it...

We used to use malt liquor... any kind will do, Colt 45, Bull, anything.
...lord knows you can't drink that crap. but it works well in smokers. especially with apple wood.

Thought I was gonna see a picture of Monica Lewinsky here.

Going to try a Turkey Breast today. Ernie mixed up a brine consisting of water, molasses and brown sugar. Bought a bag of Applewood chunks last time I was in town. They have been soaking since yesterday morning. Hope I don't overdue it with the flavored chunks. Last time I experimented I added way to much flavored wood...

Asked Ernie about her Tamale recipe. She will get to it some time in the next few days, hopefully. Couple of things need to be known, she is not one for measuring things. They are a bit time consuming to make so when we make them we often make 12 dozen or so. More people making them the easier it will be. We only use beef in them, she does not like Pork. Former co-worker came over one time to learn how to make them. Randy had just filled an Elk tag. Made a few with just the Elk meat in them, nobody really cared for them. When the Elk was mixed with some Beef was a whole different story....

What size rolling paper do you use to roll the meat in before you smoke it???

We used to use malt liquor... any kind will do, Colt 45, Bull, anything.
...lord knows you can't drink that crap. but it works well in smokers. especially with apple wood.

Wanted to use beer....have not had any in the house in 4 months or so. I used to use Southern Comfort as a marinade a lot.

Quessing that the quality of the booze is not all that important?

When you're using a brine to smoke meat, or any other product for that matter, it is important to have a salt/acid based brine! The idea is to "cure" the outside of the product and form a pellicle, or a sticky or dry skin on it to help absorb the smoke flavor! Therefore, after brining it for the desired amount of time, you drain the brine and hang the meat in the fridge and let the air dry the surface of the meat to form the pellicle! How long to brine the product depends on what product you are using! Delicate products like fish don't require a brine at all, only a mild salt and sugar rub! Poultry is also on the delicate side and should only be cured for maybe 4 hours before removing it from the brine! Heavy cuts like beef and pork may take up to 2 days in the brine, but certainly overnight!

Hanging it to form the pellicle can take as much as a couple days for heavy cuts of meat as well, but you want the "skin" to be tacky to the touch, almost somewhat taut and with resistance!

The smoking itself is an art as well, in that you don't want to "cook" the meat with heat from the smoking process! Isolating the smoke box from the heat chamber will allow the smoke to cure the meat instead of the heat cooking the meat! The best smokers out there actually have no firebox at all, only a small box to put the wood in, and that slides over a metal rod that gets hot and smoulders the wood inside the box causing it to smoke, but produces no heat! This is called cold smoking! I understand that most people have the hot smokers that sit outside, and that's ok as long as you keep the heat down as much as possible!

Hope the tamales come out as good as they sound!! Good luck, Geof

I used to use Southern Comfort as a marinade a lot.

I've never used Southern Comfort as a marinade, but I do use it in my sweet potato recipe for Thanksgiving. Did it once and they've been demanded every year since.
I'm looking forward to seeing Ernie's tamale recipe! Love tamales. Used to have one neighbor that made outstanding tamales at Christmas and another that made the best ever salsa. Sadly, they both passed this year.

I use fist size chunks of wood in my smokers. No need to soak the wood and the reason is- soak a chunk of wood overnight and then cut it in half. You will see that there is almost no penetration of the water. By soaking it, you only add condensation from the rapid evaporation of the outside water.
I like to use green(fresh cut) fruit wood and especially like peach wood.
On an egg, it is easy to get to much smoke. This usually happens when you let the temps get to high and you dampen it down. You can see the grey smoke coming out. The temps spike so quick when you open the lid for what ever reason.
Good luck with the tamales. I wish I were there LOL!

Turkey breast was delicious. Had a nice solid smoke ring. Hope to have the Bosses Tamale recipe soon.

-
Back