Mechanical fuel pump problems

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I tried to start the 340 I installed in my Barracuda, but the mechanical fuel pump is not pumping. I was able to pull fuel through the line (and fuel pump). This is a new pump I installed that I got cheap from Ebay so I'm not sure if it's any good. My question is possible to install it incorrectly to were it won't pump?

Not sure about improper install but it is CERTAINLY possible that it's the wrong pump or defective. (GM and some Ford engines used the same mounting flange)

You should be able to work the pump by hand and get some idea if it's good. Is there a number on the pump? You DO have a pump cam installed on the camshaft?

I'm pretty sure it's the right pump, but I would like to know if it's possible I could have just installed it wrong or do I need to replace it.

I'm pretty sure it's the right pump, but I would like to know if it's possible I could have just installed it wrong or do I need to replace it.

Well, I have seen them put in with the pump arm above the eccentric before, the arm needs to be below the eccentric on the cam so as the cam rotates it pushes the arm down and then allows it to come back up creating the pump action.

When installing it, kinda angle the arm down towards the bottom of the engine to assure it's underneath the eccentric.

Well, I have seen them put in with the pump arm above the eccentric before, the arm needs to be below the eccentric on the cam so as the cam rotates it pushes the arm down and then allows it to come back up creating the pump action.

When installing it, kinda angle the arm down towards the bottom of the engine to assure it's underneath the eccentric.

Thanks, it's been a while since I installed it so I'm not how I put it in!

Ditto above...not 100% sure, but it seems to me there are two bolt on mechanical pumps that fit, but have different a lengths. I've always used the longer one in my 34( auto parts guys have brought me the shorter arm and I always have them get the longer...might be wrong on some books....I'm away from my spare now, but I think the arm is around 5 inches long...if it's the shorter one I don't think it'll work--arm is more like 3 inches. Pull yours, check to make sure it's the right one, put a little grease where the line hits it and you should be good! Good luck.

-
Back