Mechanical temp guage

-

DartGT360

Reaction score
Bought an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge to replace OE gauge the does not work. I have a 318 out of a 1982 Plymouth Diplomat in a 1969 Dart GT convertible.

On the intake manifold there are two extra plugs by the thermostat housing. I hope to use one for the new gauge.

My problem is I can not get the old plug out. Factory sending unit hole is too small to use.
Is it too close to the carb or other internal parts to use a torch or is there another trick to loosen it? Thank you in advance.

soak it in PB blaster for an hour ant then tighten it just a touch and then take it out.

soak it in PB blaster for an hour ant then tighten it just a touch and then take it out.
try a propane torch first & melt some candle wax into the threads or heat it then shock it with a blast of what ever you have in a can with the thin red spray nozzle

Bought an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge to replace OE gauge the does not work. I have a 318 out of a 1982 Plymouth Diplomat in a 1969 Dart GT convertible.

On the intake manifold there are two extra plugs by the thermostat housing. I hope to use one for the new gauge.

My problem is I can not get the old plug out. Factory sending unit hole is too small to use.
Is it too close to the carb or other internal parts to use a torch or is there another trick to loosen it? Thank you in advance.
I f it was me , I would return the mech temp gauge and get an electric one. Mech temp gauges can be a pain in the *** on small blocks because the probe is often too long and bottoms out and you have to space it up with an uglyass fitting. An aftermarket electric sending unit will fit in the factory hole.

I f it was me , I would return the mech temp gauge and get an electric one. Mech temp gauges can be a pain in the *** on small blocks because the probe is often too long and bottoms out and you have to space it up with an uglyass fitting. An aftermarket electric sending unit will fit in the factory hole.

This is the exact problem i had trying to put one in my Offenhauser 360, i opted for the Autometer electric and it work great!!

-
Back