Menifee , Ca. VL29C1E ...

-

LH23H2R

Reaction score
One of the shops I deliver to has a 1971 Duster that they're fixing its brakes and diagnosing a start-run problem .
I'm wondering if it belongs to anyone who's a member of this forum ...

It's pretty plain ; its only options were :
- 225 ( over the standard 198 )
- EV2 Tor-Red paint
and that's it !
Radio block-off plate is still in place ; it's got rubber flooring , drum brakes ( :twisted: ) , 4-paddle fan ( no shroud ; direct-drive ) , and , my fave , its original-issue license plates ( :rock::rock::rock::rock: ) !!

Fender tag is missing ( why ??? Perhaps its owner stashed it ... ) .

I mentioned to the shop's manager that I'd help advise him with this project .
I mentioned that the brakes are easily converted to '73 & later discs ; that the ballast resistor is a ***** and that they're prone to cracking ; and that he should just give the car to me !

Does this Duster belong to anyone in this forum whom lives in-around the Menifee-area ?

Factory radio block off =P~

That surprised me , too ! Especially since the car's 40 years old !
It has a super-low sequence number ( 101343 , iirc ) which makes me believe that it was built in late 1970 ; and its plate number starts with a "C" as the 1st letter ( "C" = 1970/1971 overlap on Ca plates in 6-character series blue & yellow ) .
The other surprise was its EV2 colour ! A stripp-o model with a Hi-Impact body colour (?!?) , and it was this colour in the door jams , trunk and engine compartment .

I'd gladly take this as my next car ( keeping the 225 / 904 and just cleaning it up and adding the '73 disc brakes ) !!

My Demon's build date is 9/18/1970, and its sequence number is 107309. That car would have been scheduled to be built 6000 cars before mine. 1343rd car scheduled to be built in LA in 1971. Nice and early.

My Demon's build date is 9/18/1970, and its sequence number is 107309. That car would have been scheduled to be built 6000 cars before mine. 1343rd car scheduled to be built in LA in 1971. Nice and early.
Is your Demon also an L.A. ( v.i.n. character "E" ) built car , or Hamtramck
( v.i.n. character "B" )?
I'm sure that Hamtramck had a much-higher volume build criteria than L.A. , as Hamtramck built "odd-ball" , Special Order and Export-Spec cars ( as well as Hemi's , convertibles and other cars which L.A. wasn't equipped to build ).

It's too bad that the fender tag was missing , as I could've ascertained the car's scheduled build date , whether it was a Special Order ( why a Hi-Impact colour on an otherwise stripped-down model ? ) , and whether my assumption is correct about its Hi-Impact status ( it may have been Vitamin C as well [ EK2 ] , but it's pretty oxidised from the southwest's searing Sun ) .

My Valiant is also an L.A. built car. Its different because its a factory red car. How many Valiants were red? On top of that it also had red interior!! Never here much about the L.A. plant.

My Demon is an LA built car. That's why I threw out that info. It helps get an idea of how early the Duster was built.

-
Back