Metal in fuel water seperator.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My buddies boat was idling rough today so we decided to change the water fuel seperator. We cut the old one open and found a lot of metal and junk and we are trying to figure out what it could be. He has had the boat about two weeks and bought it from the original owner that always kept it inside and winterized it apparently. You guys helped me out when I found a bunch of trash in my oil filter so I figured I would give it another go.

Everything in the picture is very very thin metal that crumbles in your fingers.

IMG_5086.JPG

Rust scale off the inside of the tank? Better in the seperator than in the carb. I'd take that all day.

Rust scale off the inside of the tank? Better in the seperator than in the carb. I'd take that all day.

That's what we figured but it's always good hearing from the forum. We are currently looking for a hose to suck the gas out the tank.

drain the tank and remove it. Fill it with about 3 lbs of gravel and tie it to a cement mixer for about 30 minutes. Rinse with a gallon of diesel.

drain the tank and remove it. Fill it with about 3 lbs of gravel and tie it to a cement mixer for about 30 minutes. Rinse with a gallon of diesel.

We are actually firing up the cement mixer right now. LOL. Sadly we don't have access to a cement mixer. Is there a better way to clean it?

It's a boat. People die out in the water when the engine quits. It is your lifeline.
If it is a metal tank,just replace it and everything between it and the separator.
Ok, that is the official management's line.

It's a boat. People die out in the water when the engine quits. It is your lifeline.
If it is a metal tank,just replace it and everything between it and the separator.
Ok, that is the official management's line.

What's the line for guys throwing something together to get out tomorrow.

Neither will the BB, the hose and fittings are not adequate for that kind of useage.
Bring lifejackets, an inflatable dingy with pump and oars, lots of water, several cell-phones, sunscreen, and I guess you can leave the beer and T-paper behind.lol

If you set it up with a short hose, it will be fine. I've got a used one here is 5/16 hose. "Won't last long?" Buy two or three 5 gallon ones

Was that my old boat?

One of the reasons I got rid of it! Just kidding but damn they are money pits!

none of his buddies have a fuel cell in the back of the car he can borrow?

There is probably no sock left on the pickup. That would be your first line of filtering. Whats the physical shape of the old tank? Modern pickups have long slender plastic tanks if that would adapt. A trip to the wreckers....

There is probably no sock left on the pickup. That would be your first line of filtering. Whats the physical shape of the old tank? Modern pickups have long slender plastic tanks if that would adapt. A trip to the wreckers....
With an internal fuel pump, hook up external return style regulator and should have plenty of fuel supply for a BB

Took the boat back out today after putting a new filter in it and cleaning out the tank. Motored down river about 20 minutes and went back to idle and the engine started running bad (missing). Then the engine died and now it will not start. We got a tow over to a dock so we are eating and letting the engine cool down. Any other ideas? Could this be vapor lock?

Is the tank vented?

We found two problems. Distributor cap is cracked and there is no fuel getting to the carb. It is nice working on a boat on the water though. If you get hot you jump in for a swim and cool off. We will be loading it up as soon as we get a tow and taking it home for a new fuel pump and distributor cap. I'll just keep updating this thread as it goes.

-
Back