Metal shear

-

Bigmacdak

I'll take the Duster.....
Reaction score
Everyone locally is telling me that I need to purchase a metal shear & quit using my cut off tool. Im doing alot of body work right now, floor pans, inner fenders & such. They tell me I can make smoother, more precise cuts with one. It sure would be nice to get away from the cut off wheel. It sucks my compressor dry & I have spent damn near 100 bucks in cut off wheels at this point.

What do you guys use? Any brand, make, model reccomendations?

Just asking your opinions I guess.....:read2:

Thanks, Matt W.

a cut off wheel is handy dandy for sure. Far too slow though. A shear or nibbler would be better. Evena jig saw is faster.

Go for it. I have a nibbler and that is like superman compared to the cut off wheel when it comes to metal panel cuts.

get yourself some aviation snips and an electric or air operated hand held shears milwalkie is a good brand of electric ones,the aviation snips are awesome(wiss) brand and of course band aid brand band aids

I all ways use the cut of wheel but a set of shears is on my list of need to buy tools along with a hole puncher/flanger tool.

i picked a no name brand electric shear at princess auto, definately quicker and are great for accurate cuts especially on curved areas. How do the nibblers work?

I use a 4" cutoff wheel, with a 4" electric grinder it cuts lke butter. I have an air powered one, but it is not near as fast as the electric. Just my personal opinion.

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like its going to the top of my list for X-mas. The cut off wheel works good but, like I said I can cut with it for a couple of min. & then I have to sit & wait for my compressor to recover. Should have got a twin cylinder compressor!!

Thanks guys!

i have an IR air shear. its ok. not my favorite cutting tool but it gets used. i use the 4 1/2" grinder with cutoff whells more than anything. watch the sparks around your glass though. whats really nice is the 7" wheels for the 4 1/2" grinder.

-
Back