Metering Plates, six pack

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems like I have looked everywhere, but can not find the size of this metering plate for the end carbs # 34R-6153-B.

Sorry, I need to rephrase my question. What is this metering plate size in relationship to a jet size. # 34R-6153-B

Was not there. I'll get hold of Chicago Carburetor or Holley today.
Thank you anyway.

Chicago Carburetor. Zip
Holley. Zip
Chrgdrt. Not sure that I understand your answer. Can not pm you either.

Starting to look like I will just put the Pro Max plates back in. Did not realize that this was going to be such an elusive question.
Thank you all. I'm out.

Chicago Carburetor. Zip
Holley. Zip
Chrgdrt. Not sure that I understand your answer. Can not pm you either.

Starting to look like I will just put the Pro Max plates back in. Did not realize that this was going to be such an elusive question.
Thank you all. I'm out.
the size of the main jets on that plate are .086"(hole A left side of pic) on the drives side and .073" (hole a right side of plate)on the passenger side. these are not jet size but but measured in inches I don't have my conversion chart handy, the idle feed restrictions are the upper holes and the measure .037"(holes b).
N2cwFXm.png

curious why are you looking to put the original plate back in?

Last edited:
Was looking at my options, met a drag racer from Minnesota at a mopar drag race this past weekend. Someone named Brad VanLant did his carbs. on his race car. He has used pro max and metering plates. Is currently using metering plates. Can not reach VanLant, supposed to have previously been with Holley.
Long story, bought car last year and had Phil Fish go through my carbs, big mistake.
Anyway, he took the pro max plates out and put the Holley metering plates back in.
I am trying to get a stagger for jetting on my new 418 engine. Right now, thinking that I will put the pro max's back in. It just seems like it could be a shorter road if I had a ballpark starting point. Trying to follow the article " how to tune a six pack ".
Thank you!

Thanks everyone, VanLant got back to me, think that I have a start tune up.
Mattax, Thank you for the additional web sites. Seems to be a lot of contradiction of what works and doesn't. As with all things, like the airplane that I built, several hundred of them built and though they are the same plane, each one flys a little differently. I have a start plan, and I will read plugs and performance, and adj. with info from there.
Thanks again everyone!

I am messing with metering plates on a 440 six pack now. I found this site information but according to Harold Demes (google him for his YouTube videos, he's 'the' man) and much of this is slightly incorrect. Rear plate, 34R6153B #35 has a 0.037" idle hole and the jet holes are 0.093" passenger side, 0.086" driver side. Front plate 34R6153B #34 is 0.037" idle hole and both jetting holes are 0.089". Those are hole sizes, you would need to convert to jet sizes if you are going to use billet plates.
The #35 plates are available out there. The #34 plates are not.

Last edited:
I currently have the stock 340 metering plates in, they are #41. First wot check seemed to be good on the drivers side, rich on the pass side. Was going to just leave it that way for now. Looked at the plugs last nite, it seems to be rich all the way around again. Should be lean, it's fall here and cool out. After a summer of playing with them, I think I may know why people have had such a headache with them. I have had the promax plates in also, with main Holley jets, just never seem to get it right. Going to have to buy one or two sets of those hole sizing sets.
Next year, this year is a wrap.

I currently have the stock 340 metering plates in, they are #41. First wot check seemed to be good on the drivers side, rich on the pass side. Was going to just leave it that way for now. Looked at the plugs last nite, it seems to be rich all the way around again. Should be lean, it's fall here and cool out. After a summer of playing with them, I think I may know why people have had such a headache with them. I have had the promax plates in also, with main Holley jets, just never seem to get it right. Going to have to buy one or two sets of those hole sizing sets.
Next year, this year is a wrap.
Did you ever get rid of the number 41 plates ? Thanks Steve

No, I have them.
Reason I'm asking found out if I took the #41 plates and installed them in the 71 440 end carbs since they don't make or have the 340 70/71 end carbs in stock .. I could then us the 71 440 end carbs since they are still in stock thur Holley .. Thanks Steve

So, are you buying new carbs from Holley? I take it that you have a 340, and can not get 340 6-pack carbs and are going substitute 440 carbs? I would still get Promax metering replacement plates and a Promax rear baseplate so that you can adjust the rear carb. Do you have an intake manifold?

So, are you buying new carbs from Holley? I take it that you have a 340, and can not get 340 6-pack carbs and are going substitute 440 carbs? I would still get Promax metering replacement plates and a Promax rear baseplate so that you can adjust the rear carb. Do you have an intake manifold?
I have a 340 and purchased a 350 center carb a few years back and should have purchased the end 500 carbs too.. and now I found out the only end carbs are for the 70/71 440 six- packs and yes I have a new six-pack manifold ..

Except for numbers, don't believe there's much difference between the carbs. I would still go the Promax route. You can a least reset and adjust idle mixture. All 3 carbs contribute when idling, not just the center carb. You can not adjust the rear carb with the stock baseplate. When they are right, they hit like a freight train. I have tried 440 carbs on my 418, they aren't much different.

Except for numbers, don't believe there's much difference between the carbs. I would still go the Promax route. You can a least reset and adjust idle mixture. All 3 carbs contribute when idling, not just the center carb. You can not adjust the rear carb with the stock baseplate. When they are right, they hit like a freight train. I have tried 440 carbs on my 418, they aren't much different.
Thanks for the information on Promax ... if you ever decided to part with the stock #41 plates let me know :) Thanks Steve

Phil Fish did my carbs, he put the #41's in. Maybe he has more. He used to advertise in MCG. He got on my bad side when he shipped my carbs back in an unprotected box, they got damaged and he did not insure them. I could have done what the self proclaimed professional did, only without the damage. Al he did was Sixpack carbs. Or maybe Chicago Carburetor? They are on the west coast, and have a Sixpack section.
Greg
Good luck!

It's been 2 or 3 years, since I started this thread. I have a little better handle on this. Think the reason that my plugs always look bad is non ethanol gas, but haven't driven the car this year yet because of other updates to car. My other cars plugs are clean with ethanol gas. Thank you Woodys_cuda for the tip. Will keep for the future!
Thank you

Was looking at my options, met a drag racer from Minnesota at a mopar drag race this past weekend. Someone named Brad VanLant did his carbs. on his race car. He has used pro max and metering plates. Is currently using metering plates. Can not reach VanLant, supposed to have previously been with Holley.
Long story, bought car last year and had Phil Fish go through my carbs, big mistake.
Anyway, he took the pro max plates out and put the Holley metering plates back in.
I am trying to get a stagger for jetting on my new 418 engine. Right now, thinking that I will put the pro max's back in. It just seems like it could be a shorter road if I had a ballpark starting point. Trying to follow the article " how to tune a six pack ".
Thank you!
The Promax plates are not properly engineered if you look at your carburetor there is a big void right behind the plate the small sheet metal plate that comes with the original equipment metering plates is designed to seal the plate to the thin sheet metal plates so the carburetors do not take on unmetered bypassing the jet all together. These sheet metal plates are not used on the Promax set up.
Study this for yourself and you will see that the gasket goes over the void on the carburetor and the plate goes on top of that so there's nothing keeping fuel I'm going around the Jet and behind the plate. Recently A friend of mine went to West Tech have his engine dynoed and it had these plates on it and they simply would not respond to jetting the discovery was made after the dyno session that these plates do not seal, I've talked to the guy at Promax to give him the heads up, and he said some people fill the void with epoxy which since then we have tried and it now responds to getting change

-
Back