Mexican Spec 1966 Valiant Convertible 4 Speed

-

Mexican Spec

Mason66
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am kicking myself for not buying this car when it was for sale.

This is a slant 6 with a factory 4 speed on the floor.

Seeing a factory convertible in Mexico is super rare as well.

They wanted $3000 US for this car.

Just imagine what this car could have been.

01-rear.jpg
02-right.jpg
03-dash.jpg
04-rr.jpg
05-front.jpg
06-right.jpg

How do you say "you big dummy" in Spanish? Kiddin of course, but that was a nice one!

I saw a '77/'78? what they called a Volare Superbee in Mexico in late 90s. It had a higher compression and performance 360 4-speed that easily out performed anything around it. I noticed that car had is neither Plymouth or Dodge factory badging. I asked. "Is this a Dodge or Plymouth?" The answer I got was "Si"

I am kicking myself for not buying this car when it was for sale.

This is a slant 6 with a factory 4 speed on the floor.

Seeing a factory convertible in Mexico is super rare as well.

They wanted $3000 US for this car.

Just imagine what this car could have been.

View attachment 1715923249 View attachment 1715923250 View attachment 1715923251 View attachment 1715923252 View attachment 1715923253 View attachment 1715923254

Awesome!

Everytime I see the Barracuda Grille on an early convertible I keep seeing a Formula S model that Plymouth should have built.

I saw a '77/'78? what they called a Volare Superbee in Mexico in late 90s. It had a higher compression and performance 360 4-speed that easily out performed anything around it. I noticed that car had is neither Plymouth or Dodge factory badging. I asked. "Is this a Dodge or Plymouth?" The answer I got was "Si"
They were sold under the Chrysler brand.

I have a 1974 Chrysler Dart sedan that has the Dodge front end and Plymouth rear end.

They were sold under the Chrysler brand.

I have a 1974 Chrysler Dart sedan that has the Dodge front end and Plymouth rear end.
Yeah. I later learned the Mexico was unique in liberties they were able to do with Chrysler products and parts. I remember asking if I could buy that Volare. And "Si" went to "No" I thought. "No? This is Mexico. Sales are a big thing here." Turns out cars and transferring to US is not that simple. It can be done. Just not from the sidewalk. Lol.

Yeah. I later learned the Mexico was unique in liberties they were able to do with Chrysler products and parts. I remember asking if I could buy that Volare. And "Si" went to "No" I thought. "No? This is Mexico. Sales are a big thing here." Turns out cars and transferring to US is not that simple. It can be done. Just not from the sidewalk. Lol.
Sure they can. You just need to fill out the right forms and it needs to be over 25 years old. If you need help with that let me know.

Sure they can. You just need to fill out the right forms and it needs to be over 25 years old. If you need help with that let me know.
Even cars that don't and/or ever bet US EPA standards?

But thank you for the offer. I'll note that.

Yes the EPA has a 25 year exemption. In some states you won't be able to smog it though.
Fortunately, my State ceased EPA testing due to a WAY high pass rate. Thus a waste of time and money. And I believe they had a 20 year exemption.

Here in Ca, everything '76 and newer has to be smogged according to it's original specs. Ca cars have to meet Ca standards for that year. If it's an out of state car, it has to just meet Federal standards for that year/engine. I would assume an export model would be under the same rule? Maybe not with safety gear though eh? '75 and older cars.....no smog or safety test required. Some commercial vehicles need a safety test however.....big trucks, busses, taxi's, that sort of thing.

Here in Ca, everything '76 and newer has to be smogged according to it's original specs. Ca cars have to meet Ca standards for that year. If it's an out of state car, it has to just meet Federal standards for that year/engine. I would assume an export model would be under the same rule? Maybe not with safety gear though eh? '75 and older cars.....no smog or safety test required. Some commercial vehicles need a safety test however.....big trucks, busses, taxi's, that sort of thing.
I don't think, for example, a 1979 Super Bee from Mexico would pass since we didn't have any of that Lean Burn or any other smog crap on the engine. I am sure it would pass on the emissions itself, but it would fail on the equipment portion of the test.

I don't think, for example, a 1979 Super Bee from Mexico would pass since we didn't have any of that Lean Burn or any other smog crap on the engine. I am sure it would pass on the emissions itself, but it would fail on the equipment portion of the test.
Most everything I own in classic car arena wouldn't pass California emissions. That '66 you missed would haunt me a bit too. Lol.

Mopar made some smog legal conversion kits for lean burn cars when much of that lean burn stuff was discontinued. Usually, a same or similar year regular carb, distributor, and electronic ignition was all it took to pass. A referee station had to take a look first to make sure though... I think the first ones to get that approval was the '81-3 Imperials that had that horrific fuel injection nightmare.

Most everything I own in classic car arena wouldn't pass California emissions. That '66 you missed would haunt me a bit too. Lol.
What do you have that is '76 or newer and considered a "classic"? :D

I think they figured just about everything had a cat con at that point and they wanted to keep it that way! :eek:

-
Back