Mid 90's 360 Mag questions

-

IndianaDodge

Reaction score
Besides the list below, is there anything I missing when converting my mid 90's 360 truck Magnum to J-heads and Carb for an A-body install.

I plan to use this engine a year or two so I can enjoy the car while restoring it... Taking a step by step method to fixing this car up. A 340 is awaiting a rebuild once all parts are gathered for a winter body restore once the drivetrain is complete and all parts ($$$$) are waiting the body restore!

Parts I have are listed below for conversion!

Timing Chain cover ( donated from a 1974 318 )
360 Car oil-pan & pick-up tube. (new oil pump just to be safe)
J-heads
Push rods
lifters
cam (similar to 69 340 spec)
Cast stock 340 intake

Not sure yet if using mech or elec fuel pump! if mech I plan to use the fuel-pump cam from the 318!

Not sure what else would be different?

Thanks all

Don't forget the LA head rockers and magnum rockers oil differently. The Magnum engines oiled the rockers through hollow pushrods. The La engine had a hole in the deck surface that ran down to the cam and oil was supplied to the rockers via that hole. To use La heads you need to drill this hole out or the rocker shafts won't get any oil and burn up real fast. You also need to use LA head gaskets since the Magnum gaskets don't have the oil pass through hole. You also need to use LA head bolts.

Don't forget the LA head rockers and magnum rockers oil differently. The Magnum engines oiled the rockers through hollow pushrods. The La engine had a hole in the deck surface that ran down to the cam and oil was supplied to the rockers via that hole. To use La heads you need to drill this hole out or the rocker shafts won't get any oil and burn up real fast. You also need to use LA head gaskets since the Magnum gaskets don't have the oil pass through hole. You also need to use LA head bolts.

I figured there was a difference in the bolts, I wasnt aware of the Oiling system difference.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, the oiling for the rockers is a pretty big deal, and not a simple shadetree mechanic sort of a thing to deal with. Why were you planning to swap to the J heads? The Magnum heads work well, and you can easily make a 4 bbl intake work with them.

Yea, the magnum heads are better flowing than J heads not to mention the more modern hi swirl closed chamber, why would you want to go backwards?

If you want to install a magnum engine in an a-body with a carb you will need the following;

1. An intake that is drilled for the magnum bolt pattern or have the heads redrilled to accept an LA intake.

2. You can use the magnum front cover if you use the serpentine belt setup and an electric fuel pump. Otherwise the 318 front cover and water pump will allow the use of a mechanical fuel pump.

3. You have a roller cam setup from the factory, why not take advantage of it and stick with a roller cam? You won't need push rods or lifters (roller lifters can be reused on different cams) but depending on the lift you may need new valave springs. NOTE: there is a difference between LA and magnum cams in regards to the snout. If you go mchnical fuel pump you need a LA cm with the longer snout that accepts the fuel pump eccentric.

4. You will need a distributor with a mechanical advance and yit should have vacuum advance to for street use. The MP unit is a good choice that doesn't cost a bundle.

Yea, the magnum heads are better flowing than J heads not to mention the more modern hi swirl closed chamber, why would you want to go backwards?

If you want to install a magnum engine in an a-body with a carb you will need the following;

1. An intake that is drilled for the magnum bolt pattern or have the heads redrilled to accept an LA intake.

2. You can use the magnum front cover if you use the serpentine belt setup and an electric fuel pump. Otherwise the 318 front cover and water pump will allow the use of a mechanical fuel pump.

3. You have a roller cam setup from the factory, why not take advantage of it and stick with a roller cam? You won't need push rods or lifters (roller lifters can be reused on different cams) but depending on the lift you may need new valave springs. NOTE: there is a difference between LA and magnum cams in regards to the snout. If you go mchnical fuel pump you need a LA cm with the longer snout that accepts the fuel pump eccentric.

4. You will need a distributor with a mechanical advance and yit should have vacuum advance to for street use. The MP unit is a good choice that doesn't cost a bundle.

Thanks again all for the info, That was a concern I had using the Magnum cam with LA fuel pump! The cam is similar to a stock 340. the car is setup current for Points system so for now I will use the distributer from the 340 car im parting out!

I have not driven the old car for a few years... so the goal is to get it on the road and enjoy for a summer or two until the funds are available for body work.

A 340, 4-speed, 8 3/4, and 73+ Disc break unit are waiting to be installed once the body is complete!

-
Back