Mig welder questions

-
Gas makes a big difference
I didn't have any experience welding, but a neighbor recommended the unit I purchased. He has the same and uses it quite a bit. I probably should have just hired someone to install the floor pans, but received some ridiculous quotes. One gentleman quoted me over $1000 to do 2 pans and I had the parts. I thought I would do these and sale the unit.

Yeah, I definitely won't be buying one from harbor freight I'm out on that. Thanks for the info, keep it coming great stuff for me and others reading I'm sure. That's what I really enjoy about this forum. Lots of people willing to share and give advice, I'm happy to be a part of it. Thank you

if you buy a flux core you can weld the floor pans but the thinner sheet metal [like quarters] will be almost impossible. you will burn through very easy on the thinner metal. I have a very old lincoln that I bought in 1992 at Home depot [lincoln 100 ?]. Then I went back to home depot to buy the gas adapter kit they sold for it. It works good. The flux core is run on "straight polarity" That means that you are actually holding the ground in your hand when welding. reverse polarity [most all of the gas/mig welders] you are holding the positive lead in your hand. Also when welding thin auto body sheet metal it helps to have the wire speed set up a little bit faster than normal. this has a cooling affect and helps with warpage and burn through just a little. I also have an ancient Montgomery-Ward "Buzz-Box" [an AC stick welder] that i can actually weld some sheet metal with using 3/32 6013 rod but it takes alot of patience. {a good workout for your curse-word vocabulary}. I would think that the Hobart 140 would be a good deal from the tractor supply. The click adjustment is not that big of a deal breaker in my opinion. Body shops tend to use 220 volt Millers. More voltage makes a faster weld and faster is better [maybe less warpage?] but more money right? Us hobby guys can get by with the 110 volt machines.

Pascamp pretty much summarized the word on welders. I've always liked Lincoln as that is what I started with but if I were to get a new one today it would be the Miller 211. If you really want to weld budget accordingly. If you occasionally want to stick something together, are ok with a few burn throughs and don't mind some grinder cleanup you can go the cheaper routes.

I have a 211 and love it. I bought the extra 50ft cord which makes it more mobile. I used a Lincoln 140 on my floor plans before I bought the 211. I can use the 211 on my heavy equipment too

I purchased a Millermatic 211 for auto work and I love it. I'm not a professional.....just an enthusiast. I wanted to learn how to weld for many years and finally signed up for an evening welding class at out local Career Technical Center. I would recommend looking into something like that if it's available in your area. You have the ability to try different welders and have in instructor to critique your work.
It's wonderful having welding skills when working on these cars.

We do have a welding course, I have seriously been thinking about that as well.

for someone that hasn't been welding before it can be very helpful to have some hands on instruction. After then you may have a better idea what kind of welder you need

for someone that hasn't been welding before it can be very helpful to have some hands on instruction. After then you may have a better idea what kind of welder you need
I agree completely, my father in law has several friends that weld. We're gonna try to get together with one of them after the holidays for some pointers and hands on. If that doesn't work out I'll probably pursue the vocational course. I'd rather get with one of his friends, I feel like one on one would be better than a classroom atmosphere. However the instruction may not be as good and he'll probably have one welder and I won't get to try different ones.

I purchased the Lincoln unit from Lowe's. It isn't a mig, but a flux core. I had never welded before and finally finished one floor pan replacement. Probably my inexperience, but I'm not thrilled with the performance of the unit

View attachment 1714999756
tadams- it is a mig welder but with out a contractor built in for gas controls. I bet most of the issue is it is flux core- on sheet metal it is the worst because you have to crank the heat up to melt the coating inside the wire to cover the weld from outside air while welding. Just too much heat for sheet metal.
Sorry for the issues you are having. Pm me some questions and I will be glad to help you or anyone with welding questions.
Joe

We should actually have an actual place for all things welding on cars on here Joey.

tadams- it is a mig welder but with out a contractor built in for gas controls. I bet most of the issue is it is flux core- on sheet metal it is the worst because you have to crank the heat up to melt the coating inside the wire to cover the weld from outside air while welding. Just too much heat for sheet metal.
Sorry for the issues you are having. Pm me some questions and I will be glad to help you or anyone with welding questions.
Joe

We should actually have an actual place for all things welding on cars on here Joey.
Thanks Joe
After the holidays maybe we can talk

Gas welding will expand your vocabulary if trying to weld outside in any kind of breeze . That is where the flux wire works better. If your in a shop with no breeze the gas welding is great. I believe most gas welders can use the flux wire. Check on that, then you can use either and not be limited.
Yote

I have thought about taking a course at the local community college.

Gas welding will expand your vocabulary if trying to weld outside in any kind of breeze . That is where the flux wire works better. If your in a shop with no breeze the gas welding is great. I believe most gas welders can use the flux wire. Check on that, then you can use either and not be limited.
Yote
The wind problem is over exaggerated I think. Turn up the gas and shield it with your body. Usually is sufficient.

What would you guys think the cost and length of a welding class would be at a local vo-tech? I know regions/areas will be different but I would think they'd be close. I checked on line for ours and it's $250 for one night a week 6-9 for 12 weeks. There is an * beside the cost that says some classes require additional book and material fees. I'm gonna call them when they're open after the Christmas break and see about signing up and ask about the additional fees. Starts Jan 10th.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll have to see what they say the additional fees are.

What would you guys think the cost and length of a welding class would be at a local vo-tech? I know regions/areas will be different but I would think they'd be close. I checked on line for ours and it's $250 for one night a week 6-9 for 12 weeks. There is an * beside the cost that says some classes require additional book and material fees. I'm gonna call them when they're open after the Christmas break and see about signing up and ask about the additional fees. Starts Jan 10th.

I would recommend a class to anyone wanting to learn. Just tell the teacher you are there to learn, not meet your unemployment requirements. Most guys in the class couldn't care less if it's welding or interpretive dance. They only want their check.

Last edited:
-
Back