mig welding

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
I am ready to have my plates welded to the floor for my buckets.my Q is how much mig welding sparks will there be.Will it reach my new headliner and burn through.This welder is one that plugs into 110 outlet.anything to worry about .Thanks Don.

I've never had an issue like that before pop up.........BUT, I would just buy a cheap piece of plastic sheeting from Home Depot......cut it big enough to make a little "tent"....tape it to the dash and rear deck, and weld under it using a little prop rod to hold it up off your head....it won't hit the headliner for sure.

Usually, if you use MIG (NOT flux core) , you'll have very little slag and sparking issues.

Yes there is a good chance to hit your headliner.
Many years ago I got welding slag on the inside of the windshield and some spots on the dash pad.

Make sure to cover up everything good!!!!

if u are MIG welding with gas....u will not have any problems...

maybe sure u got bare metal exposed to weld to on the floor..

The floor is ground bare and the plates are ground bare ready to go.There is no gas involved with this welding.sure sounds like i better cover things up.This guy can weld a pop can if you know what i mean Cheersssssssss

MIG with gas shielding on CLEAN steel will make very little sparks. Flux core will as the flux boils to a gas, the expansion snap/crackle/pops throwing sparks. Now, if the metal has rust, the rust will pop/spark quite a bit!

Certainly sparks are no where near the sparking of an arc welder. TiG is pretty clean too.

Use a cardboard box with one side cut out as a sort of tent. That will keep the sparks away from things like your headliner, dash pad, rear seat, and glass.

Amazingly, our bacon eating nut job from the west has an excellent idea. A cardboard box would work great!
Almost 1000 posts......if I live that long:toothy10::toothy10:

I am all for the box trick tell us what he won Johny.very good.Now give me a bite of that burger i am starving.

I"m working on my certification. I'm a metal melter too, can't wait to actually be able to weld some day. But as a great man once told me; "....you don't have to be good with a welder if you're good with a grinder......" 8)

Get the gas, no splatter. Welding my top halo, 2" from the headliner. I just have to put a piece of tin foil between the tube and headliner. Flux core is nasty, and nasty to weld with. 75% argon, 25% co2; is a completely different world.
If you can get a semi-good weld with flux; using gas will make you a pro. Within 3 minutes, you just have to adjust the heat and wire speed.

It is a whole new world since I converted over to gas.

Guys, with all due respect, I've done this kind of thing with cardboard before....... it burns. Plastic doesn't flame like that.

We've completely missed a few hot pieces that hit cardboard and got through the first layer......although it might look like it's "out", we have had a few close calls with smoldering cardboard after the fact.

Plastic sheet will stop the particles that might fly, and only soften and melt where hit......it won't burn, and it won't let anything through to your headliner.

It's also a LOT easier to handle and manipulate than cardboard.

-
Back