Mike and Tina's Epic Road Trip

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have written about my plans this summer before, but now we are getting down to the wire. Soon my wife, Tina, and I will roll out of our driveway in Washington State near Tacoma and head off on a 6 week, 5000 mile road trip to Chryslers at Carlisle. I hope to see some of you there! It took 3 years to build our long distance cruiser - a Plum Crazy 1970 Dart GT with a 318 and an A500 four speed overdrive automatic. We will get on the very end of the Pacific Coast Highway and take it to Santa Monica CA, take Rt 66 all the way to Chicago, and then take the Lincoln Highway to Pennsylvania in time for Carlisle. It will be the first time I have had a car there since I left the East Coast in 2001. For those going to other Big Mopar Shows this summer, I also plan to make it to the Nats in Columbus and Moparfest in Ontario.

We have developed a web site that will be up and running very soon so that our friends, including our Mopar Friends, can follow us across the country. If you would like to ride along with us virtually, send me a PM with your e-mail address and when the time comes I'll send a link to the web site. It should be a hoot! If you are going to one of those shows look for this Dart and say Hello!!!

DSC04927.JPG

Yep Classic Auto Air. The "perfect fit kit" was not, but the major components are well designed and some ingenuity and minor fabrication got it all to work.
DSC04949.JPG

IMG_4580.JPG

IMG_4581.JPG

So I have written about my plans this summer before, but now we are getting down to the wire. Soon my wife, Tina, and I will roll out of our driveway in Washington State near Tacoma and head off on a 6 week, 5000 mile road trip to Chryslers at Carlisle. I hope to see some of you there! It took 3 years to build our long distance cruiser - a Plum Crazy 1970 Dart GT with a 318 and an A500 four speed overdrive automatic. We will get on the very end of the Pacific Coast Highway and take it to Santa Monica CA, take Rt 66 all the way to Chicago, and then take the Lincoln Highway to Pennsylvania in time for Carlisle. It will be the first time I have had a car there since I left the East Coast in 2001. For those going to other Big Mopar Shows this summer, I also plan to make it to the Nats in Columbus and Moparfest in Ontario.

We have developed a web site that will be up and running very soon so that our friends, including our Mopar Friends, can follow us across the country. If you would like to ride along with us virtually, send me a PM with your e-mail address and when the time comes I'll send a link to the web site. It should be a hoot! If you are going to one of those shows look for this Dart and say Hello!!!

When we run cross country we skip Chicago. Traffic and roads are pretty bad, other than that, sounds like a blast. See you at Carlisle.

Enjoy your trip!
Sounds great except for one thing...if you'd left a couple of days ago you could have hit our annual "Mopars in May" charity-benefit all-Mopar car show in Ontario, CA, on Sunday (05/21/23).
Next time!
Have a great time cruising this great country.

Last edited:
When we run cross country we skip Chicago. Traffic and roads are pretty bad, other than that, sounds like a blast. See you at Carlisle.
Having been through Chicago more than a few times last year I cannot agree more. Take a more southern route if possible to avoid the area. The roads really are brutal and the drivers are worse.
I followed your earlier posts and I would love to travel vicariously along. Will send a pm, have an amazing trip!

When we run cross country we skip Chicago.
I have family in Chicago (a cousin who is a professional fire fighter and his family), so that stop is a must. We'll all go together to visit the two family graveyards in Princeton and Granville IL where our grandparents, great grandparents and great great grandparents are buried. For his two kids you can add a great to each of those.

I have family in Chicago (a cousin who is a professional fire fighter and his family), so that stop is a must. We'll all go together to visit the two family graveyards in Princeton and Granville IL where our grandparents, great grandparents and great great grandparents are buried. For his two kids you can add a great to each of those.
That would be different. Oldest daughter went to Northwewstern, so we were up there a lot during those 4 years. No reason for us to go back.

We like lots of pictures and what you get for gas mileage.
Then you better send me a PM with your e-mail address. When our trip web site is up I will be sending the link, but I won't post the link here and won't be posting the web site content here...

My dream trip. Love the coast highway, did it last summer (but in a 2015 200) and my wife and I have plans to (someday) do Route 66 in my Duster.

PM headed your way!

I should add, don't do the Lost Coast Highway section unless you want to spend all day and take it really slow. Cool place to go, not sure I would ever do it again. Wore me out with dodging the pot holes and switch backs.

Sounds like an amazing trip. Enjoy and safe travels. PM sent

Pm sent Have fun, stay safe, and watch out for the idiot drivers out there.
If not done yet, I would suggest hooking up a Dash/Rear camera.
See you at Carlisle.

-
Back