Mild bolt on performance for a 66 170CID?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've got a good running 66 170CID in my 65 Valiant. I was contemplating doing some minor performance enhancing upgrades to help bump up the HP from 101 and the torque from 155LBS-FT. It's got the factory Holley 1920 with the rod type throttle linkage. How easy will it be to swap a Super Six 2BBL system on here? Is there a decent cam to put in? I don't want to go so drastic as putting on the split header, is there any good muffler that will help it breathe better? What's the best for ignition? The next problem is I want it to appear stock under the hood, so I'd like to keep the factory air cleaner. Is there a K&N filter that would fit it that anyone knows of? It's a 4 door, 904 column shift, but don't know the gear ratio because it was originally equipped with a 225. So it might be 3.23 or 2.93.

Header wont fit the 170 anyway
You will need the cable linkage from the super six setup
I just drilled holes in my air cleaner lid

use the 2 barrel setup
the dual manifold setup search dutra duals Best bolt on you can do for the /6
Mill the head and do some pocket porting

The /6 like compression and head work
for the ignition if you still have points switch to electronic and add a ignition box like msd procomp sells one for $100

and lower gears in the rear give it ALOT more acceleration at the cost of a little gas milage

got any pics of your 66???

K&N does make a replacement air filter for the stock Super Six 2bbl air cleaner, and an air cleaner change of some kind would be necessary if you did the swap. If you stick with the 1bbl, they make a filter for the later model air cleaners (I know they make one for my '72 Swinger). I don't see anything listed for the '66 slant, but you might be able to do some digging and find one that will work.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of K&N filters. It's been well documented how much CRAP they allow into the engine along with that extra air, and they have a negligible affect on performance... I try to find extra power that won't cost me an engine further down the line. 'Course, if you're looking for an excuse for a rebuild... ;)

I installed Dutra Duals and a Super Six setup at the same time on an otherwise stock engine, and it was simply a night and day difference in power and driveability (and a little economy boost, too). It was like driving a different car. I highly recommend both upgrades, although I have a 225, so your results may vary.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

I've got a good running 66 170CID in my 65 Valiant. I was contemplating doing some minor performance enhancing upgrades to help bump up the HP from 101 and the torque from 155LBS-FT. It's got the factory Holley 1920 with the rod type throttle linkage. 1. How easy will it be to swap a Super Six 2BBL system on here? 2. Is there a decent cam to put in? 3. I don't want to go so drastic as putting on the split header, is there any good muffler that will help it breathe better? 4. What's the best for ignition? The next problem is I want it to appear stock under the hood, so I'd like to keep the factory air cleaner. 5. Is there a K&N filter that would fit it that anyone knows of? It's a 4 door, 904 column shift, but don't know the gear ratio because it was originally equipped with a 225. 6. So it might be 3.23 or 2.93.

1. Not too hard. The SuperSix uses a cable type throttle, so get ALL of the linkages and brackets involved.

2. Mopar and Comp Cams make a pair. The guys over on SlantSix.Org had a buy in for Sig Erson cams. However, I've also heard they are out of blanks, so I don't know where that program is at present. All the contact info is there, so it should not be hard to follow up.

3. Dynomax seems to be getting good reviews lately.

4. To retain the stock appearance with electronic ignition performance, look no farther than Petronix.

5. The 9 inch K&N will fit the old pot style Mopar air filter cover. However, you'll need to mix and match air filter bases and covers to keep the stock look with the 2bbl. Resolve that first.

6. Probably a 2.93:1 unless it's a Sure Grip. Most of those I've seen were 3.23:1. Look toward the bottom of the rear axle center section access cover. There is usually a copper tag held in by one of the bolts that will have the ratio stamped into it. If you can't find it, but have a copy of the build sheet, PM me with the rear axle annotations off of it. I should be able to decode it and it will tell what the factory originally installed.

Rear gear should be 2.76. If you get the super six set up MAKE SURE you get the Auto kickdown rod and linkage. Or you will need to get a Lokar cable setup and fiddle with it.
2 1/4 exhaust makes a world of difference. A well curved Dist is a MUST. Talk to Charrlie S about your 170 as he is the resident expert on them. There really isnt a lot you can bolt on a slant. Most of the gains are inside.
Frank

Pertronix? I have heard good and bad. Bad is if it craps out you can't buy replacement parts everywhere.

I would get an extra head and port it. Shave the chambers.

If you wanted to get radical a 198 crank in there is the way to stroke it.

My 65 is kinda on hold now until I get my 73 Charger 400 finally cranked and broken in. I'm just at the last few weeks of hooking up all the little things on my Charger. Once it's running again and moving. Then I'm going to jump on the 65 Valiant. I've been gathering parts for it already. I got the 4-Door windlace weatherstripping. I may have decided to just keep it a stock reliable 170 1-bbl. Maybe when the 170 blows then I'll play with it, but it started right up and didn't even smoke after I don't know many years of sitting.

-
Back