Mild Torque 318 suggestions wide open!

-
if it were me and i was keeping the 318, i'd be looking at heads with a closed combustion chamber. like promaxx (aluminum) or the indy LA-X heads (iron).
you can keep your LA valvetrain and intake but you get the good magnum combustion chamber, you can run more compression and less ignition timing.

so, a flat top piston (if they make one), look at the combo of piston at or below deck and head gasket thickness to set quench...

a cam around 260*, compression ratio close to 10:1 or a half point higher with AL heads (if you can get it that high with a flat top).

Oh, yeah, you can get the SCR that high with the smaller chambers.... and that is where I like to be for snappy low end grunt. But the OP wants this to be on the mild side and not hard to tune, for the missus. So getting the 318 up to a true 9:1 SCR is a definite improvement. That 260 ish cam will get DCR in to the mid 7's and that is an easy spot to tune and run.

Oh, yeah, you can get the SCR that high with the smaller chambers.... and that is where I like to be for snappy low end grunt. But the OP wants this to be on the mild side and not hard to tune, for the missus. So getting the 318 up to a true 9:1 SCR is a definite improvement. That 260 ish cam will get DCR in to the mid 7's and that is an easy spot to tune and run.

I like your heads idea
but, with the 260* cam, you're looking at about ;
Static compression ratio of 9.0:1.
Effective stroke is 2.74 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.61:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 149.80 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 120
A VP of 120 with 2.76 gears, is gonna be a tad anemic,IMO.
And do you think this combo could make 250hp?; honest question.
First gear will top out at just north of 50/55 mph. So it's gonna take until 25/30 to wake her up. Unless you put a fairly big TC in her. 3.55s would bring it down to maybe 20 mph, and a 2800TC would snappy-up the take-off.

Here's what a stocker looks like
Static compression ratio of 8:1.
Effective stroke is 2.86 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 7.04:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 135.24 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 113

And a stocker with the Scr pumped up to about the limit for pump gas
Static compression ratio of 9.3:1.
Effective stroke is 2.86 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.16:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 164.04 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 137

This combo with 2.76s,is gonna need some grunt.
The 9/0-260 cam is only 6% better than the stocker in the lower Rs, while the 9.3-240cam is 21% better there. That's a pretty good return, on money spent.
I like the 260 cam idea, but I'd pump it up.
So, here's a compromise;
Static compression ratio of 9.8:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.27:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 166.91 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 134
So what do you think? A tad too much?
Yeah for 2.76s and a stock TC, I think so too.
But I think those closed chambers with a tightQ will clean up the chambers to run the 9.8;So the first thing to go would be the stock TC, for at least a 2800. The vacuum secondary idea I like too, and I'm big on TQs.This will help some more in keeping away the marbles.
Then a free flowing exhaust is a must.
And finally, If I had to, I'd run a cooler thermostat.
How about now?
And after that;put a switch on the A/C to cut it out when you nail it, and I guess skinny tires. Once the tires spin, the load goes away, the rpm jumps up, and then you can get away with a bit more compression than normal. I mean that's how I once ran 10.9/8.9 Aluminum/185/ Vp of 162; lotsa tirespin.
But if you're gonna run mostly at Part Throttle with a small carb, I'd pump it up no fear.
You already know what 113 feels like. 120 ain't much more. Chit don't happen until 140 and higher. But it's really hard to get there with a teener, and the 2.76s just make it that much harder. Gears are the quickest easiest cheapest way to pick up some performance.
For example; the best you're likely to get is 137/113=plus 21%, and this is gonna cost around $4000 (I'm guessing at US prices) after all is said and done. The same 21% can be had with a rear gear of 3.35, for maybe $300 to $400 installed. But that's not all; the gears will let you put down more average power per unit of time, so the car will be quicker to 65mph, possibly even with the stock engine with just a 4bbl, than the $4000 engine with the 2.76s. Ok so add the cost of a used intake and AVS, maybe another $150 rebuilt; total say $500. Oh wait, make it 3.23s that nobody wants, for say $250 installed,total $400.The 3.23s will reduce your advantage to 17%. Still a whopping big improvement for $500 or less.

Last edited:
Here's a combo I ran for one summer;(That's all I could stand.)
292/292/108 in an aluminum-headed 360.
Static compression ratio of 11.3:1.
Effective stroke is 2.64 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.60:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 175.57 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 143
I thought
143 was pretty anemic, requiring 4.30s with a clutch. (11.44 starter gear).
Forget about 2.76s, lol.
Yeah I tried itwith the cam in at 100* as well,
It looked like this
Static compression ratio of 11.3:1.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 8.88:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 182.96 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 154
That was better, allowing 3.91s, but the cam was just too big for me. The power was way up there, and the gears were too much for a DD.

and since I'm hogging post space now, here's my next combo, if I get a do-over. Custom cam; 276/286/104/in at 100
Static compression ratio of 10.9:1.
Effective stroke is 2.88 inches.
Your dynamic compression ratio is 9.29:1 .
Your dynamic cranking pressure is 194 PSI.
V/P (Volume to Pressure Index) is 172
That aughtta loosen my teeth!
With this I can pull a starter gear of under 10/1 and with OD , it will hit a tic over 2000@65.

The point is, a performance bottom end should be in excess of 140, 150 is better 160 is saweet, and 170 is killer torque.
You already know what 113 feels like. 120 ain't much more. Chit don't happen until 140 and higher. But it's really hard to get there with a teener, and the 2.76s just make it that much harder. Gears are the quickest easiest cheapest way to pick up some performance.

Last edited:
I'm embarking on a sl6 to 318 swap. (automatic 904)
My wife says this car MUST be quiet -no headers. It must idle nice. It must have AC. It must not overheat. It must be fine with 70 mph. That said, I can spend some cash on this build no problem but don't want a fiddly exotic tuning nightmare. I think I'll shoot for 250 HP and as much torque as possible to get it off the line with my 276 gearset.
I'm gong to rebuild the 318. plan on bumping the compression up with pistons
Heads? 360 heads and intake- stock
5-650 vac secondary carb to retain a bit of mileage.
slant torque converter might be a good idea?
Bast option on exhaust? like a high flow cast iron manifold.
what cam to use? power just off idle-retain torque- sounds like an 80's truck cam but cam choices are infinite and I'm not "in the know" about them.
what kind of head mods would be most effective? I thought just a bowl polish and knock back the heart tip? Full porting would just slow the charge and cost torque?
Going to an aluminum radiator with dual electric fans-Griffin makes the best ones I've seen around.
Of course I have electronic ignition and such. I just need to talk to my engine guy soon and bat around ideas
Other worthwhile mods? Am I off base for my goals?
EDIT -NO Magnum Swap. I've got a 318, it's good, it fits, unless someone wants to trade?

LA 318, no major part changes for stock exhaust manifolds and everyday driving;

Small Thermoquad or AFB/Holley @ 600 cfm on top of a OE 4bbl. intake, Performer, LD4B or Weiand Action plus.
Electronic distributor fired by a MP Chrome box or equal.

A cam with a duration @.050 of 206 intake for idle and up and 216 for just off idle (1500 rpm). No extra stall needed.
Dual exhaust @ 2-1/4 - 2-1/2, your call. Long muffler bodies for quite ride.

206 cam gear ratio 2.96 or less.
216 cam gear ratio 3.21.
Stock size tires

No aluminum radiator & electric fans. OE Viscous with shroud in a V8 radiator.
Done!

OD trans a plus! Go up in gear ratio by 2 steps. 3.21 to 3.73, or 2.96 to 3.55.

Do not change Pistons unless you need a rebuild. No high volume oil pump. No deep oil pan. Nothing fancy or extra needed!

Heads can remain stock. A good valve job is allways a plus IF the guy knows what he is doing on your MOPAR engine!

I know.. but IIRC this is for his wife and she does NOT want a hot rod. He is sneaking in some small goodies to make him happy. No need IMHO to go as far as us gearheads would go, and make the wifey mad.

I know.. but IIRC this is for his wife and she does NOT want a hot rod. He is sneaking in some small goodies to make him happy. No need IMHO to go as far as us gearheads would go, and make the wifey mad.

True, but their going from a /6 So they want a bit of pickup and 250 hp gross is underpowered from today's standards my dad's mini van has 275 net power.

I think a stock rebuild, with a 4bbl, small RV type cam and a set of duels will meet the op's goals.
Spend money on good piston and valve seal, with a fresh turned crank for oil pressure, it should run good for many years.

-
Back