Mileage increase with sp2p

-
I have a friend that swears by the Holley 390 CFM 4 barrel.

Not sure what intake he runs it with though.
I want to say it's a common Edelbrock performer.

there's also the holley "economaster" that pairs excellent with the performer or the SP

they're out there, but a little tough to find. the 390's an excellent choice if you're not trying to go to bonneville.

Has anyone out there tried to increase fuel mileage on a small block or big block with an Edelbrock sp2p intake? Any luck?
I had the SP2P manifold on a 318 in my 69 Charger way back. I believe the car had 3.23 gearing. Played with several carb combinations (Holley 600 and Carter TQ). I found the TQ was the best overall. I drove from San Antonio TX to Oakland, CA and averaged 21MPG during that trip. The speed limit back then was 55. That was with my wife, baby, and suitcases in the car as well. That manifold has very small runners so makes good low end grunt, not good for performance.

I would be lots of money, that it would be tough to beat a factory spread bore manifold, carb type aside

Also keep in mind that some of the "tests" you may find either have an agenda, or are not all that scientific.

This is definitely a low end torque manifold. I ran one on a truck that we used to haul wood and it was a real stump puller. I can see that it would allow you to run high (numerically low) gears and still have plenty of pep at low rpms... I think that this is a very under rated manifold if it fits with your program...

there's also the holley "economaster" that pairs excellent with the performer or the SP

they're out there, but a little tough to find. the 390's an excellent choice if you're not trying to go to bonneville I plan on on using the economaster Holly 450 CFM spread bore on it

I plan on on using the economaster Holly 450 CFM spread bore on it

that should go great together. if you don't have one let me know; if you need another, let me know.

that should go great together. if you don't have one let me know; if you need another, let me know.
I have one, too. I wonder how two on an Aussie Speed slant 6 tunnel ram would work? lol

I have one, too. I wonder how two on an Aussie Speed slant 6 tunnel ram would work? lol
with or without a supercharger?
*cackles madly*

all kidding aside, i think they'd probably do okay. tipping into the secondaries would probably be pretty eye opening. but i imagine around town a combo like that would have pretty good manners and a lot of throttle feedback.

i ran one on a wheezy 318 2V motor that i snapped one of those 2 into 4 a-dapt-or-plates on and it was more fun than it had any right to be.

*cackles madly*

all kidding aside, i think they'd probably do okay. tipping into the secondaries would probably be pretty eye opening. but i imagine around town a combo like that would have pretty good manners and a lot of throttle feedback.

i ran one on a wheezy 318 2V motor that i snapped one of those 2 into 4 a-dapt-or-plates on and it was more fun than it had any right to be.

*cackles madly*

I round one on a Chevy 350 and a station wagon pulling a heavy trailer cross country and it did just fine. I like these carbs.

*cackles madly*

Yeah I really want this setup, but wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first.
SLANT 6 BLOWER.jpg

The RV guys and mileage masters had good luck with the Edelbrock Streetmaster 318. Idle to 4500 very strong, good gas mileage
You can see the restricted plenum. And small ports for increased velocity

16942586750072521556177715941837.jpg

16942586750072521556177715941837.jpg

16942586950054647263164991600707.jpg

16942587216934114110908255068155.jpg

-
Back