Mileage Question

-

Jacmifish

Reaction score
Hi new to this forum. I recently started driving my slant 6 Duster around Tampa because of college and am getting mileage of around 12mpg in town. I was wondering if this is normal because on the interstate riding about 70-75mph I get 21mpg. (Running with a one barrel and an automatic transmisson)
What could I do to get better mileage?
Thanks.
Mopar or no car! :toothy10:

First things first, if you haven't already give it a tune-up with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, check that the carb is working well (no leaks, smooth linkage), check the ignition timing advance, and finally set the valve lash. After you know it's running its best you can try getting a more open exhaust system and a Super Six 2-barrel setup to improve breathing a bit. I'm sure other members can give additional advice...

First things first, if you haven't already give it a tune-up with new plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, check that the carb is working well (no leaks, smooth linkage), check the ignition timing advance, and finally set the valve lash. After you know it's running its best you can try getting a more open exhaust system and a Super Six 2-barrel setup to improve breathing a bit. I'm sure other members can give additional advice...
Agreed!
These simple repairs should yeild 16 to 17 MPG in the city, highway might not change much. But before you spend the money on carb and exhaust upgrades, might I suggest you put an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. :-D

If you can't drive like that and want to spend the money on the carb and exhaust to get more torque, horsepower, throttle response and fuel economy (if driven sainly); drop the pea shooter and go for the Super Six, here's a great article for the swap. http://www.slantsix.org/articles/supersix/article.htm
As for the exhaust, upgrade from the factory 1 7/8" single exhaust to a 2 1/4 single. You could also do a dual exhaust system either using Dutra Duals (http://www.slantsix.org/articles/exhaust-man-mods/exhaust-manifold-mods.htm) or you could go with headers, and there is several options there. Regardless of your choice of headers or manifolds, do a 2" dual with turbo mufflers (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17702/) and X-Pipe.

I think your highway mileage seems to be on the good side of normal. I would guess your in town driving habits could be to blame. I took my car from 11mpg to 16mpg just by driving it the same way I drive my TDI. That is, with economy in mind.

I think your highway mileage seems to be on the good side of normal. I would guess your in town driving habits could be to blame. I took my car from 11mpg to 16mpg just by driving it the same way I drive my TDI. That is, with economy in mind.

Thats what it sounds like to me. Need to tame that lead foot. LOL

A bit is going to depend on what year Duster and what size /6 you have. Also, what differential gear do you have (a tag on the cover or build sheet decode will tell you.).

Beyond the suggestions already given, suggest checking out SlantSix.org and do a search on "hypermiling driving techniques". Some of the techniques will be too extreme/unsafe. However, there are others such as "timing lights" and coasting that are very good. The name of the game in good city mileage is to safely avoid situations that cause you to alter speed.

21 MPG is pretty good.
Gears in rear end will have an effect, as said.

I would look at maximizing each aspect you can:
Tire inflation
Fluid changes (switch to synthetic, or at least fresh, full new fluid),
Adjust drum brakes in rear (possible car has front drums to) to point where brakes are BARELY touching drums,
electric fan,
Air intake tube, for more air flow to air cleaner (warm air is better for MPG, so draw from behind radiator)

I personally wouldn't go to extreme on body modifications, but the one I would consider would be a belly pan from under the front bumper, to the front K member. There is a lot of the K member showing that acts like an air plow. A sheet of plastic from sign store (think the material that they make election signs with) would help direct air that is coming under the bumper smoothly under the K member, instead of the K member catching the air.

Hypermiling techniques from www.ecomodder.com would help. As previously said, some are extreme, but changes to driving habits, and adjustments for efficiency on the car, can go a LONG way.

Check out your choke operation. A lazy(slow) opening choke will kill around town short trip mileage. Set it as lean as you can without causing unsafe stumble coming out of the driveway.

Thanks for all of your tips. I will attempt implement these techniques. As an update the mileage seems to be actually getting worse... however I will be making a trip alongside someone in order check to the Odometer. Will get back with the gears.
Thanks again for the info.

-
Back