Milidon oil pan

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Most of you guys will remember the post I had on my 340 (R3) oil pan and the work I had to do to make it work. I went back and forth with Tom at Milodon and sent him pictures of the wrong mods that were being done to these pans. He said the pans weren’t redesigned but I showed him when was done to the front and rear baffles of the pans. Another member later commented that his pan was the same way and he sent it back. Well he ended up promising me a new pan last March so I had the saved emails and forwarded it to him today saying it’s almost been a year and no pan yet. Here is his response so we shall see if he follows through. I was surprised I got a response in under two hours.
35FAB2F9-314D-4766-9536-0FB80AD6881F.jpeg

Best of luck, sometimes it works out. I was disappointed to hear of all your problems with your milodon pan, I am a fan of their pans so I hope it works out good for you.

dollars to donuts the new one will leak like a sieve

You go PR! Good on ya! I fully realize this is not the thread to say this but I have been racing/using Milodon for years and never had one leak! It does sound like their QC protocol has diminished the last couple of years as there just can’t be this many guys having trouble and there not be a root cause? Glad Tom responded. Nice to see a vendor keep their word in this day and age. Albeit you had to prod him a bit.

Yeah I caught mine on a poorly place manhole ring and it looked like it was ran over by a cement mixer. Not one leak not out of the bottom not out of the rails nothing. I quickly replaced it but I couldn't believe how strong it was.

Best of luck, sometimes it works out. I was disappointed to hear of all your problems with your milodon pan, I am a fan of their pans so I hope it works out good for you.

Heck I was too and probably bought 5-6 of them over the years. He said they didn’t redesign it but I sent him a link to summits website and they had a 360 degree video of it and you could see the changes.

My Kevko pans were not that nice. They sent another and still has a bent gasket surface. I'll send one back when I see which fits better once we get a small block on the stand. My milodon pans, Two of them now leaked at the welds. Things are not made like the use to be made. Quality sucks. And as far as waiting for cores? It doesn't take that long to hot tank a used pan. LOL

I fill mine full of kerosene and let it sit for days. If I can find a small leak before I run it it’s an easy fix with my welder. It didn’t leak a single drip so I’ll say that for it.

I have a nasty leak on my new Mildon at the rails in the back. Sucks. Any tips on a quick repair?

I’m still waiting for a Milodon pan I have on order…. I’ll fix the leaks if it ever arrives…

The pan shouldn’t leak where your pointer is. That’s just a pan rail stiffner right there making the pan two layers thick.

I agreed but it’s beading up and dripping right there. My guess is it’s coming from farther back. Bolts are torqued

It’s highly unlikely leaking from the pan rail. More probable it’s coming from the pan end seal and/or rear main seal (likely one, not both) and wicking. You gotta drive it, immediately park the car and get under it, degrease the pan rail, block and gasket edges. Let it sit a day or so and check it periodically and see if oil reappears to decipher where it’s coming from. At least that’s how I’d start the investigation

It’s highly unlikely leaking from the pan rail. More probable it’s coming from the pan end seal and/or rear main seal (likely one, not both) and wicking. You gotta drive it, immediately park the car and get under it, degrease the pan rail, block and gasket edges. Let it sit a day or so and check it periodically and see if oil reappears to decipher where it’s coming from. At least that’s how I’d start the investigation
I agree it’s probably from the rear cap where the rubber seals fit in beside the rear seal. Kim

I didn’t use any sealer except the corners. Need to take the pan off and check the thrust bearing and also retorque all crank and rod bolts. So I wanted as much break-in run time as possible on it before taking the pan off. Used a 1 piece seal tho. Maybe the corner is leaking, I agree.it leaks badly, couldn’t drive it. Only leaks when running

I didn’t use any sealer except the corners. Need to take the pan off and check the thrust bearing and also retorque all crank and rod bolts. So I wanted as much break-in run time as possible on it before taking the pan off. Used a 1 piece seal tho. Maybe the corner is leaking, I agree.it leaks badly, couldn’t drive it. Only leaks when running

Slow down now. Why are you going to retorque rod and main bolts after the engine is together, installed, and ran. And there are easier ways to check thrust clearance than pulling the oil pan off.

Did you try to gently retorque the oil pan. Are you sure it’s not an oil sending unit or valve pan cover. I had a valve cover sitting up on an intake that was leaking and had me second guessing.

Slow down now. Why are you going to retorque rod and main bolts after the engine is together, installed, and ran. And there are easier ways to check thrust clearance than pulling the oil pan off.

I’ve had major thrust bearing problems in the past and wanted peace of mind. Maybe go as far as pull the caps and check the bearings.

Did you try to gently retorque the oil pan. Are you sure it’s not an oil sending unit or valve pan cover. I had a valve cover sitting up on an intake that was leaking and had me second guessing.

I did retorque the pan and no luck slowing it down. It starts leaking after about 1 minute on a cold engine. It’s not the sending unit. I looked around with a mirror while it was running and it didn’t see a valve cover leak. I’ll see if I can capture a video.

-
Back