millarmatic 250 with spoolgun .

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to build an aluminum Oyster boat and i have a Millarmatic 250 welder and need a spoolgun for aluminum and i'm having trouble finding information on which one that is compatible with my welder . Anyone using a spoolgun on their 250 Millarmatic ?
'

Ask your local welding supply that sells Miller welders.

I have the Millermatic 220. I love it. Call Miller. They can help you in seconds. I assume you will want to buy Miller anyway.

I have a millermatic 185. '97/98 year.
Bought it new. Was looking at the MM250 but there was no mention and the guy at the welding supply store had no idea if it was capable of running a spool gun.
I bought the 185 because i knew it was actually plenty for me, and the fact that it was advertised as being " spool gun ready" with a plug made for it without having to cobble/retrofit later if I wanted to add it. I've occasionally looked for a spool gun for my 185, I've had to farm out a few small aluminum welding projects over the years on account of not having either a spool gun for my MiG or access to tig (of which I've tried unsuccessfully like twice) and every time I find one I'm "between jobs" where I really could use it and/or I can't afford it.
A few years after I bought mine I was in that welder supply store and they had a promotion where you got a free spool gun if you bought my same welder.
Later on they changed the millermatic 185 to call it a "210".
I took would still like to get one just to have.

I have the Millermatic 220. I love it. Call Miller. They can help you in seconds. I assume you will want to buy Miller any

I have the Millermatic 220. I love it. Call Miller. They can help you in seconds. I assume you will want to buy Miller anyway.
I Have no problem with chinese spoolguns any i have used are near identical to the millar piece and work great . 1400 bucks compared to 200 bucks .

I have a millermatic 185. '97/98 year.
Bought it new. Was looking at the MM250 but there was no mention and the guy at the welding supply store had no idea if it was capable of running a spool gun.
I bought the 185 because i knew it was actually plenty for me, and the fact that it was advertised as being " spool gun ready" with a plug made for it without having to cobble/retrofit later if I wanted to add it. I've occasionally looked for a spool gun for my 185, I've had to farm out a few small aluminum welding projects over the years on account of not having either a spool gun for my MiG or access to tig (of which I've tried unsuccessfully like twice) and every time I find one I'm "between jobs" where I really could use it and/or I can't afford it.
A few years after I bought mine I was in that welder supply store and they had a promotion where you got a free spool gun if you bought my same welder.
Later on they changed the millermatic 185 to call it a "210".
I took would still like to get one just to have.
my 250 mm has two plugs for the add on spoolgun one is ac and one dc .

I don't care. I try all I can do to avoid China made.
Id be happy with a good used one.

Your 250 is probably newer than when I was looking for a welder when I bought my 185
yes my 250 is 16 years old and it has worked great so far and has burned hundreds of pounds of wire. I would buy a used Millar SG if i could find one .

Yeah that would make your machine about 10 years newer than mine

Yeah that would make your machine about 10 years newer than mine
i priced a new millar 30a pro spoolmatic which that welder requires is 3785.00 new ouch but i found a used one in oshawa ontario for 1200.00

I Have no problem with chinese spoolguns any i have used are near identical to the millar piece and work great . 1400 bucks compared to 200 bucks .
Please don't take this wrong, but I'm not sure I understand. I assume you bought a Millermatic 250 because you wanted a high quality welder. And you certainly got one. Like I said, I love my Millermatic. If you bought a Millermatic for its quality, wouldn't it make sense to buy a Miller spool gun? I don't think you'll be happy with a Chinese knockoff, works with the Millermatic 250 spool gun. I could be wrong, but I'd stick with Miller.

Please don't take this wrong, but I'm not sure I understand. I assume you bought a Millermatic 250 because you wanted a high quality welder. And you certainly got one. Like I said, I love my Millermatic. If you bought a Millermatic for its quality, wouldn't it make sense to buy a Miller spool gun? I don't think you'll be happy with a Chinese knockoff, works with the Millermatic 250 spool gun. I could be wrong, but I'd stick with Miller.
agreed i found a used millar 30a SG in oshawa ontario for a decent price but i have no way of seeing it i just got to take the sellers word that it is what he says it is .

I see some listed for my 185 machines listed as "replacement" that seem quite cheap. Dont know what brand or where they were made, I'm not looking at them as I'm on here.

PM ME. I have a brand new in the box miller spool gun that should fit your machine.
I can get you pictures of it and my machine that it came with about 17 years ago.

I believe my machine is a Miller 252.

Last edited:
PM ME. I have a brand new in the box miller spool gun that should fit your machine.
I can get you pictures of it and my machine that it came with about 17 years ago.

I believe my machine is a Miller 252.
thanks dowboy .

-
Back